The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

3 posters

Seeing the Seer

Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Seeing the Seer  Empty Seeing the Seer

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 pm

The walk out to the north of the Institute was as bad or muddy as Kerry thought it might be. There was another covered, paved path to from the Åsgårdsreia coven tower to the History Center; then they walked quickly through that down a short stone path to the bridge--and then it was over the creek and into the "north end" of the school.

The passed the Dark Arts building--though pass wasn't really the word. Annie and he saw it off through the woods, maybe 150 meters or so. It looked pretty damn creepy if Kerry could say so. He understood there was suppose to be a vibe about these Dark Arts places, but--damn. That was rollin' the hype in hard.

The path through the woods wasn't bad. It wasn't paved, but there were a lot of stones and gravel along the way, so it wasn't soaked with mud. In fact, there wasn't a lot of water, either, but then it hadn't been raining that hard last night.

Maybe another 100 meters along the path and Kerry made out a couple of houses in a clearing. It was just like the librarian said: two buildings, together in the woods. Memory's End. Kerry wondered what was going through Annie's might right now. They'd not said much since leaving the tower, and he knew she was probably thinking about her visions, what she thought was going to happen to her. He didn't want to say it wasn't all true, but he couldn't, because he just didn't know. It was very possible that she was seeing the future.

It's only that . . . which future was she seeing.

He touched her hand again, which, he learned, was something she liked. "Looks like we beat the crowd," he said, trying to lighten the mood with a little joke.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Seeing the Seer  Empty Re: Seeing the Seer

Post  Annie Krum Fri May 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Annie walked silently along next to Kerry, keeping pace easily enough. She was outdoors in her element and it was a nice change to both the stuffy atmosphere of Hogwarts and the charged one of the Institute.

As they walked along, she thought of her father and mother. What she wouldn’t give to be able to take a detour up to the owlery and send along a letter to them telling them all about her evening—leaving out the kissing of course. She wondered if they would catch on that her relationship with Kerry had already changed so much.

She hadn’t been paying much attention to where they were until they hit the buildings. Kerry startled her by reaching for her hand. She gave him a crooked grin. "Ready for this?" she said, and walked on…into the unknown.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Kerry nodded as Annie passed. Man, I've not ever seen her this tense before. He had seen her sometimes unsure, but this . . . the last time she'd acted like this was when they first met Helena in the Potions dungeon.

"Yeah, lets--" He followed her into the building, looking around as they entered, not saying a word.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 38

Post  Deanna Arrakis Fri May 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Denna knew the young ones were coming to visit her, and so she prepared by putting out cups for tea. She visited with Trevor late last night and had an interesting conversation regarding the Krum girl and an American boy, who seemed to orbit each other in a strange and unique manner. Denna was eager to see for herself if either the girl or her unusual companion had the sight.

She flitted around the room, grabbing one of her favorite silk scarves and pinned it just before she heard a slight knock at the door.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri May 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Kerry stood behind Annie, just seeing over her shoulder. The room was--interesting. It wasn't so much a classroom as it was a comfortable living room, with sofas and chairs and tables laid out in a semi-circle. There were even a few large throw pillows here and there on the floor for, Kerry imagined, really getting comfortable.

The woman standing at the far end . . . Kerry didn't know what to make of her. She looked very young, and not the least bit--well, Kerry didn't know how a real sear should look. But this one was a bit of a babe. Yeah, this ain't Hogwarts, he thought once more.

He gave Annie a little touch again. "Go on in," he whispered. "I'm right here."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri May 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Annie hesitated when the professor opened the door. Suddenly, she felt like this was a bad idea and they had made a huge mistake. Then Kerry prodded her, urging her in.

“Good morning, Professor,” she said. “I am Annie Krum. Are we disturbing you?”
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Fri May 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Denna smiled warmly. This young one is a bit on edge. “I am very pleased to finally meet you, Miss Krum. Welcome to Memory’s End. Won’t you please come on in?” She motioned for the two children to enter.

“And your young man? What is his name?”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri May 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Whoa. Kerry didn't remember anyone saying Annie's last night. Spooky.

"I'm Kerry Malibey, Professor," he said. He had resisted the urge to say "Ma'am", since, no matter what, they were all instructors. "Nice to meet you."
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Fri May 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Denna nodded at the red haired boy. Gently, she moved between the young children, holding their hands in hers, and guided them over to the pillows situated on the floor. “Please, have a seat my friends.” She stood and watched where they chose to sit on the floor. It is rather curious, isn’t it? Look how they orient themselves. Trevor was right to alert me to these two.

Silently, Denna sat opposite Annie and Kerry, keeping as little space as possible between them. “I will give you some tea now.” She held up a small, white cup without handles. “For you, Miss Krum.” She took up an identical cup and held it out for the boy. “For you, Mr. Malibey.”

She handed each child a small silver spoon. “Now,” Denna reached for an ornate silver box on the table to her left. She lifted the lid and the aroma of strong licorice filled the warm room. “Miss Krum, please stir the tea and then place some into your cup.”

She waited silently while Annie did as she was told. She then turned to the boy. “Mr. Malibey, please do the same.”

Once the boy had placed a few leaves into his own cup, Denna replaced the lid and put it back onto the table. She produced a porcelain carafe filled with hot water.

“Now, young ones,” she said, looking at each of them in turn. “Pour your tea and think of your future while stirring the leaves. Please, tell me what you see.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 12:01 am

Kerry did as told, wary about what was coming next. He knew he shouldn't have been, 'cause one of the things he read about in the books at Hogwarts was using tea to see a future, how the combination of the aroma of the tea mixed with the hot water could stir a reaction.

He kept his eyes focused on the center, really wanting to see something. No, dummy, he thought. Don't want it: let it come. The books made it clear, if you force this, it doesn't happen--

It was all quiet and the water murky. He wasn't seeing anything. No, not really. He was about to look up when there was something--

It was quick. He felt it rush by him. He slid to the right, then pulled back, felt himself rise. There was something in his hand, the wind whipping the cape. He saw Annie come swooping in, looking down from above. "Annie!!!" He thew, then ducked to the left to avoid . . . something whizzed past again--quickly . . ..

Then he looked up. "Whoa!" he said softly.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Sat May 21, 2011 12:06 am

Denna grinned. The child was gifted after all; she saw the look on his face. “Drink up, young one.”

She turned to Annie. “How about you, Miss Krum?”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sat May 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Annie looked up at the professor. She always enjoyed having tea at home with her parents but this was out there, even for her.

She picked up the carafe and filled her small cup with steaming water. Carefully, she set it back down and picked up her small silver spoon. She stirred the amber colored water and breathed in the sweet aroma of anise and licorice. She closed her eyes, allowing the heady fragrance to wash over her—and then she saw him…

It was early morning; shadows still lingered in the cozy bedroom she shared with Kerry. Silently, she moved, the linen sheet falling from her body as she rolled over. He was asleep…his bare chest, rising and falling steadily with each breath.

Being careful not to disturb him, Annie slipped out of their warm bed, sneaking outside to the call of the lake that lies beside the house. She knows this lake all too well and she runs to it like a child to her father.

Kerry awakens to find Annie’s side of the bed cold and empty. He smiles, knowing already where she has disappeared to, and rises to go to her.

He stands on the sand for a moment, watching her. “Good morning, Mrs. Malibey.”

Annie swims toward the sound of his husky voice. She emerges from the lake, wrapping her arms delicately around his neck.

“Good morning, Mr. Malibey.”

Annie gasped, spilling the tea over her fingers and onto the floor. “Owww!” She put the teacup down and mopped up the spill with a few napkins.

“I’m very sorry professor,” she said. “I don’t know what is wrong with me lately. Since our arrival, my mind has been wandering—a lot.” She giggled feeling her face flush at her remembered vision. “I think my imagination is taking advantage of me.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm

After what happened to him, Kerry glanced over to the professor--who was watching Annie--and then to Annie. She held the cup in her hand, steady, calm. Her eyes were closed. She looked relaxed--

For Kerry she seemed too relaxed.

He thought about to last night, how Annie looked after the calming draught the nurse gave her. She was better after talking it, but she never once looked as if she were drugged, only . . . calm.

Now, she looked down right placid. But--Kerry couldn't put his finger on it. There was something about her look. She was relaxed, and . . ..

And she's at peace, he thought. Whatever she's seeing, she's at peace with it.

Then she jumped and spilled tea. So much for peace.

He reached out to touch her as she cleaned. "You okay?"
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sat May 21, 2011 4:05 pm

It was almost too much for Annie to look at him. How could she now look into the eyes of the boy that she knew in such an intimate way as a man only moments before? He would never understand.

“I’m fine,” she muttered, trying very hard to keep her mind on her work as she cleaned up the last of the spill. “I’m sorry professor. I think this has been a huge mistake. We should not have come.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Oh, snap. Annie had went from "I'm So At Peace" to "We Gotta Blow This Place NOW!" in a turn of seconds. Kerry realized that her visions meant a lot to her, and whatever she had seen--was seeing--it started good, but he didn't think that . . . I don't think it went bad, but there was something there that startled her.

"Annie." He said the word softly, and tried not to sound like he was faking. "Whatever you saw, don't worry. If it's bad, we figure it out." He realized he was taking a big chance, what with the professor right there, but he thought it would help calm Annie.

He took her hand. "It's okay. Really."
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Sat May 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Denna watched the exchange between the young ones. She focused her attention to the girl’s aura, which started a cloudy gray, changed to a glorious yellow while she had her eyes closed, and now shifted once again—this time to deep sulfur as her mate came close and touched her hand.

She gazed at the boy, who had also carried with him the same cloudy gray aura when he arrived. Denna realized that his vision forced his aura into a brilliant orange and now, once again, the color matched his mate—perfectly. Marvelous... I have never seen anything quite like this.

She pulled out her wand. “Solvo vereor,” she whispered and watched as their auras changed to a lovely blue. “Feeling better?” She smiled at both kids. “The calming effects will last for another five minutes or so.”

She leaned forward and took Annie’s cup. There, near the rim was a triangle. “Ah, yes. Now I understand. Your vision. It was something…unexpected?

“Your aura was the most splendid shade of yellow I have seen in a long while, so I am thinking this unexpected thing was most joyous. I will not push you to share with us what you have seen, because I can see it has made you quite uncomfortable to dwell on.”

Denna leaned back and focused on the young man. She held out her hand for his cup. There, at the bottom, was a feather. “Yes, I can see it. Your vision was one of distraction.

“Your aura was the most radiant orange I have ever seen. It shows a sign of power and an ability or desire to control the people around you.” She leaned forward and touched each child’s hand. “It was not a mistake to come, young friends. Your visions are very real.

“What you are seeing is what I like to think of as a possibility. These things are achievable if you desire them—but that is the thing with desire,” she picked up each of their hands and joined them. “It is free to change, isn’t it?”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Distraction? Kerry was a bit lost. He really could believe that he'd seen something, and this professor . . . she was scary real in the way she carried herself.

But what she said really puzzled him. "Professor, I've never . . . I mean, I don't know that I want to control people. The thing I saw--well, not saw--" He took a deep breath. "It was more like a feeling. Like I was flying and things we're going by. And Annie was there, above me, and we were . . . we were together, I know it."

He realized his breath was coming a little quick. All this talk of visions in the last couple of days was starting to make him think very, very hard. "I don't know, but it felt--wild in a way. Is that good?"
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sat May 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Annie listened while Kerry reasoned with the professor, but she knew he was wide of the mark. “Kerry,” she whispered. “Professor Denna is right. Do you remember last night, when I told you of my mother’s prophecy?” Annie turned to the professor.

“My mother said that Kerry would break free and set out to become master, rising up greater and more powerful than ever…”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 6:41 pm

When Kerry heard Annie speak the phrase "become master" he went a little cold even though he knew he was being a bit silly. That was the strange thing; he never, ever felt like he should be in control of anything. He'd always been a follower, or, worse, he meandered with no direction.

But then there was last night, and Kerry had listened to Annie, heard her story, heard her warning . . . and Kerry hadn't cared. He liked Annie enough--too much, perhaps--to let her fall away into some hole where all she would do is worry about her fate. He didn't want that. And so he asked her to go steady.

Because it seemed like it was what he should do. It was him--

Taking charge.

"Whoa--" He said softly. "Yeah, I think you're right, Annie. I think the professor is right." He smiled. "No, it wasn't a mistake to come here."
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Sat May 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Denna considered the young man’s reluctance and felt it was important not to push. He has a very powerful sense of control for one so young. His seduction is strong and yet he is completely unaware that he manipulates those he will.

“It is very curious that both of your names have exactly five letters.” She said, changing the subject and looking at each of them in turn, waiting for that to sink in. "You must be curious.

“Annie, your name implies you are perceptive, understanding and bright. I’ll bet you enjoy hard work and challenges. You are often serious, scholarly and interested in all things…mysterious. For you, originality and imagination are more important than money and material possessions. My vision tells me you can also be pessimistic, sarcastic and insecure.

“Kerry, your name represents harmony, friendship and family life. Though things may seem troublesome now, I can see you are loyal, reliable and loving. You adapt easily to new environments. My vision tells me you will do well in teaching and the arts, but will be unsuccessful in business.”

She sat back and watched the pair in front of her. These two will be fantastic to watch grow…
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Listening with rapt attention, Kerry took everything in. It's freakin' psycho in a way, he thought, but then she nailed Annie perfectly. Me, not so much . . . but then he thought about it:

Harmony--he was always in tune with things that others weren't. Friendship--he was opening up to Annie in ways never before with anyone. Family life--okay, 60% isn't bad.

As for adapting to new environments--you think? Most of the people he knew back in Cardiff would have crapped bricks by now. Particularly the event last night. And he did consider himself artistic. Business bored him, but getting creative--that was fun.

If not for the family life thing . . ..

Then there was just the smallest of lights-- What if the professor wasn't talking about his family now, but rather, a family to come?

And Annie's mom said you would be there . . ..

Kerry nodded and smiled. "Thank you, Professor," he said. "It's too bad we can't take your class until next year, 'cause--" He tried to find the words. "I've never felt like this before. It was . . . wild."

Last edited by Kerry Malibey on Sat May 21, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Sat May 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Denna stood up; signaling their time to leave was at hand. She crossed the room and stood in front of a large, ornate wooden cabinet. “I have a homework assignment for each of you,” she said, opening a small drawer in the center. She pulled out a faded blue bag and held it up to them. “Inside this bag are Runes.”

Denna rejoined the two children, holding the bag out in front of her. “Clear and focus your minds. Place your hand inside the bag and move the stones. When you are ready, draw one out and place it in my hand face down.”

When both children finished, Denna turned the stones over.

“Miss Krum, you have chosen Uruz. The life you have been living is at an end. However, this is not a Rune of ending; it is instead a Rune of new beginnings.

“There may be darkness of a tunnel leading to the new life, but the light will be brighter at the end.”

Denna placed the stone into Annie’s hand. “Take this Rune. Place it beneath your pillow tonight. In the morning, before you leave your bed, write what you dream.”

She turned to face Kerry next. “Mr. Malibey, you have chosen Othila. A shedding of old skins is called for. You may receive benefits, but it may require you to give up something else.

“This may be difficult to do because part of what you may have to give up…is a portion of your background.”

Denna placed the stone into Kerry’s hand. “Take this Rune. Do as I have instructed Miss Krum.”

Denna smiled at both children. “I will look forward to visiting with you both again soon.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 pm

"Part of what you may have to give up…is a portion of your background." Eeeh. Kerry's heart jumped at that statement. What does she mean? What's it going to do? He was now a bit scared thinking that he's going to have some crazy-ass dream that was going to push him squarely into nutsville.

Now wasn't the time to think about it. Now was the time to go. They were dismissed, and given how nice their host was, it would be rude to push their welcome.

"Thank you, Professor," Kerry said. Again, without thinking, he took Annie's hand. "I'll have my sheet to you tomorrow." He walked Annie to the door and held it for her, and as it closed behind them, he asked, "Okay? Where to, Pumpkin?"
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sat May 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Annie held her Rune tightly in hand. As they walked out the door she realized the time had come for them to—be alone. She was not sure what to say to Kerry so she blurted out the first thing that came to mind, “Anywhere, I guess.” That was dumb…

She sighed and walked on ahead of him a bit, placing the Rune safely in her pocket.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat May 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Today suddenly turned into a big ol' heap o' crap. Kerry was upset, but he didn't know why. And Annie--she was lost. He could see it. Not lost, as in "I don't know my way", but lost like, "Oh, damn, is that what I'm going to become?".

"Anywhere . . ." The last place they needed was to see a teacher. He had been considering visiting the Dark Arts House, but right now--nuh, uh. Annie would probably throw herself from the clock tower this afternoon if he did. What they needed--

Was to be alone.

He didn't have a great grasp of where the little hiddy spots were, but he had a good idea, that if he went over there, they might just find some quiet.

He ran over to Annie, stopping in front of her. "I got an idea. Trust me."

And with that he led her to the north--

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am