The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

After a long day

Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 17

After a long day

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 2:47 pm

After a particularly long day, Annie was thrilled to see the inside of their commons. A cheery fire blazed in the fireplace. She gravitated toward it and the large squashy emerald green couch she had fainted on just this morning.

Things were quiet. She imagined most students were either still dining in the Great Hall, milling about in the gardens, or already up in the dorms.

"Wanna sit for a few minutes before going up to bed?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Re: After a long day

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Kerry sat next to Annie and snuggled into her. "Sure," he said. He thought for a few moments and whispered, "You worried about what sort of dream you might have?"
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Annie fished the Rune from her pocket. It was a curious stone. Flat and small with a small carving on one side that looked a lot like the lower case letter n to her.

"After what I saw today, I don't think things could get any weirder," she said without thinking and immediately felt her cheeks flush crimson. "I... I mean," I mean I've just gone and stuck my foot in my mouth. Way to go, Annie. "I just mean that I hope whatever I dream, I will still be able to look at you in the morning."

She put the stone down and ran her fingers through his hair. "What about you? Are you worried about what you'll see?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Kerry pulled his rune out as well and rolled it about in his hand. "Yeah, a little," he said. "I mean, Professor Arrakis was sort of scary, but, she seems to know what she's talking about." Kerry shrugged. "And that's what bothers me, because she is so certain.

"But all these visions about us--you and your mom." Kerry leaned into Annie more. He wasn't sure if putting his arm around her was going to get them slapped by the Coven Patrol. After what happened at the stadium today, he wondered a bit about how long it would be before someone nailed them for being a little too close. "There is a quote from a book: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action'. Only I don't think a third time would be enemy action; it would be more like, 'Hey, you know, there's something to this' and stop trying to fight it."

He closed his fist around the rune. "I'll see what happens. But . . . I want to read what you give to Professor Arrakis. And I'll let you read mind. I'm not gonna hide from you."
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 3:26 pm

"Are you sure that you want to read what I dream?" She asked, not sure if that was such a good idea after her vision at Memory's end.

Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 3:32 pm

It's not so much that she wants to know if I'm sure, Kerry thought, it's that Annie's not so sure she wants me reading. He could see where she was coming from. This morning bothered her. And if dreamland brought about new revelations--

"I'll tell you what; if you want me to read it, then I will." This time he squeezed her hand. "If not, cool. And if you don't want to read mind, that's fine." He nuzzled her cheek. "Maybe it's better to keep it secret. I guess we'll both know soon enough if they're right, huh?"
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 3:41 pm

"I don't want to keep secrets from you, Kerry." She said. "I never want you to feel that from me. I just want to make sure that whatever you read won't...upset you."

She took a deep breath. "I want you to read whatever I dream...no matter what that is." She picked up her Rune. "Would you mind doing something for me before we go up to bed?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Kerry nodded, thinking something new just formed between them. "Anything you want."
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Carefully, she placed her Rune into his palm. "Would you mind kissing my Rune--for good luck?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Kerry leaned over and kissed her rune very quickly. "You do mine, too, please," he asked, holding it out.
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Annie took his hand in hers and brought it slowly up to her lips. "For good luck," she whispered and gently kissed the stone between his fingers.

Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Kerry felt very calm now. He knew something was going to happen, and it was going to be strange, but . . . it was also going to be part of this life, and he shouldn't dismiss it as something weird. You wouldn't be here if you weren't a wizard, the flying instructor told him, and it was true: if this wasn't meant to be, then it wouldn't be. He'd be back in Cardiff, in school with the rest of the nor . . . Muggle kids.

"You ready to go up?" he asked, holding his rune tight.
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 4:49 pm

"Yes, I'm ready--to see whatever comes for me tonight and to compare notes in the morning." She grabbed his hand and stood.

"Oh, about the morning," she grinned at him. "Let's meet here? That way my mind won't convince me you've finally gotten your sanity back and decided I'm not good for you after all..."
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 4:54 pm

He tousled her hair. "I'll be here, don't worry," he said. Whether I'll be scared out of my mind or not, he thought as they ascended the stairs together, is a different story.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Off to Dreamland . . ..

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 5:04 pm

It was all ready. Kerry had changed for the night, used the bathroom--making sure he didn't run into Annie in the halls--and was settling in. It was nice that there was no one else in the room yet, though he'd heard that 1st Years would probably show up over the next few weeks, that they didn't always show on Day 1--

He looked at the rune in his hands, running his fingers over it slowly. Oh, man, this is it. This morning was spooky, but this was definitely pushing it into Twilight Zone territory. No point in holding this off . . ..

He placed it under his pillow, then shut off the light and jumped into bed, pale light from outside filtering in. Kerry settled under the covers, thinking for a moment he might have trouble sleeping.

He was out in but a moment . . ..

Only to roll over in the middle of the night and mumble, "Annie," once.

Last edited by Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Annie quickly showered and dressed for bed. She navigated the hallways and found her bed without too much trouble. The entire floor was eerily quiet and her dorm room was as empty as the large bed she claimed.

Hopping in, she placed the small stone carefully under her pillow before placing her head on top. Beside her, a few sheets of paper and a quill lie ready for the morning.

She closed her eyes and heard Professor Arrakis’ dreamlike voice. “The life you have been living is at an end. However, this is not a Rune of ending; it is instead a Rune of new beginnings.

There may be darkness of a tunnel leading to the new life, but the light will be brighter at the end.”

Annie rolled over onto her side and drifted off to sleep.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

And in the Morning After, Kerry writes his Dream

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Kerry was instantly wide awake. He looked about the room, saw that he was really alone, then got up and make his way to the desk in the corner.

I gotta get this down, he thought, pulling out parchment and a pen. He would rather write this on his iPad, but no point in talking about what he would like, it was what he needed to do.

He put ink to quill and began to scribble. It all came to him so easy . . ..

(OOC: this is not exactly what he is writing, but rather what he saw.)

The room is quiet, with milky light entering through the frosted glass windows. It’s painted a soft blue, with a white ceiling, demarked by a dark blue line about a third of a meter below the ceiling.

Sitting quietly in pajamas, before you is Nurse Coraline, only she’s not in the outfit she was wearing the night you met her, but rather she’s done up like some kind of demented Disney princess, with a yellow midriff top and a pink tutu-style skirt, pink ballet slipper and white lace gloves. On her head she wore a tiara fronted with a caduceus complete with writhing snake.

“Welcome to Princess Coraline’s Afterschool Program!” she said in a very upbeat, cheerful way. “And today’s lesion is very special. It’s called, ‘Why is Kerry Such a Loser, and How Do We Break Him of His Loserhood?’.” A wand appeared in Coraline’s hand, only it wasn’t like Kerry’s wand, but looked more like a joke wand, silver with a glowing white star at the end. “You’ve seen the first part of this show, I’m sure,” she said with a sly grin, “but the ending is going to blow you away.”

Coraline sits back on her desk and crosses her legs. “You have a number of problems,” she says. “One, you’re Mugglehood makes you stand out like a sore thumb. Sure, you do your best to blow it off, but the others—the Half Bloods and Truebloods—they see through the bravado. They see how terrified you are that you’re going to come off looking like crap. They see the scared little boy below. Oh, yes—they do.

“Two, you tell yourself you’re getting this whole ‘magic thing’ down, when in reality you’re treading water in the mistaken belief someone’s going to come along and rescue your ass before you drown.

“Third, and lastly, you’re refusing to admit there is a problem. Whenever you’re falling into this sort of situation before you’re walled up that personal space around you, put everyone at arm’s length, and fell back into your comfortable shell of fantasy and geekness.”

Coraline sadly shakes her head. ‘No, no, no. This won’t do, not this time, lad.” She waved the wand under his nose. “You’re already on your way to screwing things up, and left to your own resources by Third Year you’ll go back to your emotional zombie form you’re so comfortable with, shambling here and there with no direction, and all the while pissing and moaning about how no one understands you.”

She leaned over, putting her face very close to his. “And you can’t do that, Kerry. Not now. Not this time. There’s too much at stake these days.”

For the first time he spoke. “Wa—What do you mean?”

“You are still totally clueless, aren’t you?” Coraline said, almost snorting out the word. She sat back and waved her wand over her open hand. There, in her palm, stood a foot tall Annie. “A girl like Annie can be the nicest thing in the world to behold . . .” Coraline affixed him with a deadly stare. “And if you stay upon the route you’ve chosen, you’re going to kill her.”

“I wouldn’t hurt Annie!” he screamed.

“No, you wouldn’t.” Coraline closed her hand. “You couldn’t—least not physically. But here’s the thing, Kerry: she’s picked you. Of all the people in the world, she wants you in her heart. She’s already making the compact with herself and she won’t break it, because it’s a magical one, and to do so would hurt her like you couldn’t imagine. So she’s never, ever going to leave you. Not until the stars burn out, my lad.

“And the fact that you’re accepting this—even though you try to convince yourself otherwise, you are—is a good step, but it’s not enough. Annie not only wants to be your ‘dark witch’, she wants to feel your passion—“ Coraline snorted once more. “And passion is no more than a word to you, boy. Oh, sure, you kiss her hand and hold her tight and give her a peck on the cheek and all that, but . . .” She touched his chest with her wand, and Kerry felt it leap and burn. “You feel nothing. You’re dead. And that’s going to kill Annie. Because she needs that passion; she needs to burn with it, Kerry. And you have to feed that fire. If you don’t . . . understand this: she’ll never leave you; she’ll stay by you forever. But she’ll never be Annie. She’ll be something that lives in Annie’s body, yes. But the little witch who hold so much promise now—no. The person you were with today, they’ll be dead.”

Coraline cut open her hand with her wand and made a fist, squeezing the blood from the cut. Each drop that hit the flood landed with the dull thud of an iron ball dropped from a great height. And with each drop, the Fairy Nurse intoned, “Dead. Dead. Dead.” She licked the blood from her hand, the wound healing instantly. “And you’ll be her killer.”

Tears were streaming down Kerry’s face. He felt gut punched by the denouncement and wanted to wake up, wake up now, but he couldn’t. All he could do was scream back at Coraline, “It’s not fair! I can’t help it! I don’t know how to be different!” He sobbed, “Don’t do this to me; I’m just a kid!”

The Fairy Nurse was having none of it. “Bullshit,” she said, spitting out the word. “You’ve never been ‘just a kid’; you haven’t been one for a very long time. Kerry, look at me . . . Kerry!” Coraline smacked him hard on the cheek with her wand, causing him to look up into her eyes. “You’ve been far beyond your years for some time. Maybe that’s the wizard inside trying to get out for years, trying to make you know he’s there, to make you act—because wizards and witches are like that. They know from an early age that they are different. Even the Muggleborn wizards usually know there is something about them that sets them aside from the other kids and they pick up on it a few years before they are called to school.

“And you’ve known for a long time that you were different. Only . . . only when Annie was reading her books of magic and teaching herself to do simple spells, you were throwing yourself into science and math—and your fantasy worlds. You took to Muggle fiction and you made that your realm. You escaped from the world around you and moved into something that was more to your liking . . ..”

“There was nothing else for me, Coralline!” Kerry said, yelling. “I was so bored—“

Fairy Nurse smacked him hard on the cheek once more, cutting him off. “And don’t hand me crap about not knowing how to relate to women, Kerry! I see your fantasies—oh, you are a smooth dude when you’re being heroic. I’ll bet if this were Sunnydale you’d have swept Annie off her feet after saving her from vampires, I’m sure. It’s so different when it’s all fantasy; you see yourself as being so different in those worlds, don’t you? You know how to save the day when needed.

“Well, this isn’t the Enterprise, and Annie isn’t Buffy. This it our world—and it’s yours, too. And you need to get this fantasy shit out of your mind and start looking at this world as it is, and not how you think your ideas of what you already know make it work.”

Coralline got up and sat on the arm of Kerry’s chair and put her arm around the weeping boy. “You already have the key, my boy. You know what it is. You’ve vocalized it. You only need to embrace it.” She ruffled his hair, trying to be playful. “You have it in you to be a brilliant wizard, Kerry,” she said, whispering every word. “But like so many smart Muggles, you try to reduce all magic to an equation. You can still be good, even brilliant, but . . . do you want to be another Hermione Wesley and be one of the greatest technical witches of all times, but whose magic lacks soul? Or do you want your magic to be filled with passion?”

Kerry sighed, wiping his face. “Who’s Hermione Wesley?”

“Don’t worry,” Coralline says, “You’ll find out soon enough.” She hugs him tight. “And that passion you bring to magic shows elsewhere. Kerry, understanding another person is nearly impossible; it’s too damn hard to know what another person looks for or desires all the time every time. But love isn’t an equation to be solved. It’s just like magic; you take your best understanding of what it is you want to do, give it your all and see how it feels. Sometimes it’s gonna blow up in your face. And sometimes . . .” She looked down on him and winked. “It makes you there are miracles.

“You have the answer to your problems. You know what they are.” There was silence while Kerry pulled himself together, then Coraline said two words: “Nikola Tesla.”

Kerry sniffed loudly. “What about him?”

“Crazy Muggle genius. Invented tons of stuff. Changed the world into what you knew up to now.” She rested her head against him and hoped her sweater muffins didn’t distract him too much. “And he had so many other things he wanted to do, like the wireless transmission of electricity. He said he could do it. Everyone else said he was nuts.” She paused for effect. “Sounds almost . . . magical, wouldn’t you say?”

Kerry twisted his neck so he could look up into Coraline’s face. “Are you telling me Tesla was a wizard?”

“If he was,” she said, “then I’d dare say you know how he did it all.” She playfully tussled his hair again. “Funny how he always seemed to be on the verge of a breakthrough and then, suddenly, he was shut down. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?”

She stood and looked him up and down, like she was inspecting him before returning him to his tower. “You know how to do this, kid. It’s always been there, ready for you to take. All you have to do is . . .” She pantomimed opening a door. “Push on though and do it. And don’t look back.” Coraline slumped, like she’d finished a long race. “That’s the hardest part—but it isn’t impossible, Kerry.”

“That’s easy to say, Coralline,” Kerry said. “Anything can happen in a dream.”

Smiling, Coraline knelt before him. She gave him a sweet, soft, gentle kiss on the cheek and said, “What makes you think this is a dream, kid?”

And with that last, Kerry finished. He opened and closed his hand to get rid of the cramp; he hadn't written in long hand like that in years and wasn't used to it.

That's it, he thought. Now clean, dress, show it to Annie . . . freak out, then take it to the Professor.

Kerry was up and off to the bathroom, ready for the so-far biggest day of his life.
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Annie awoke the next morning, shaking in her bed. Her pillow was damp from the tears she had shed throughout the night. Before she could forget any of it, she pulled the sheets of paper and the quill onto her lap and began writing.

I opened my eyes to darkness—it is night. Where am I? I have never been in this place before, and I am alone. Very alone.

My arms feel the spongy earth beneath them; stars twinkle above. I am lying in a large field…I know it is a quidditch pitch.

All at once, I am in agony. “CRUCIO!” I hear the voice, though I can hardly believe who is screaming the curse. My body writhes in agony, every cell screaming from the torture.

The curse stops and I am left once again to stare up at the stars. I am crying. “PICK UP YOUR WAND!” the voice commands. I will not pick it up. I would rather live the rest of my life being cursed with the Cruciatus than do as the voice orders.

“No,” I say between sobs. “I won’t. Please, no more. I love you…”

I hear the footsteps get closer and shut my eyes. I can’t bear to look into the face of my attacker.

“Get up.” He commands, hovering over my limp body—his voice, seething with venom.

“I won’t.”

“IMPERIO!” He yells and my body is no longer my own. I am forced off the ground. My feet shuffle to my wand, where I bend and pick it up. I spin and face him. He lowers his wand and the curse releases me.

“Please,” I whisper to him. “Kerry, Mi edna lyubov.”

He sneers at me. “You…will never say that to me again.” He raises his wand and I know what is coming. I will not resist. I drop my wand as the green flash advances.”

Annie dropped her quill and began sobbing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:27 am