The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

+2
Raven Whitefeather
Keith Domingo
6 posters

History of Magic

Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

History of Magic Empty First Class of the First Day

Post  Keith Domingo Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Thinking it would leave the best impression, Keith picked out a bright orange shirt as part of his uniform and hurried to the Department of History. He did not take the slightest notice that no one else was in a hurry, since he left his coven tower a full half-hour early. The previous night was spent worrying about what would happen if he were late to any classes. He decided that leaving a bad impression upon anyone who knew more magic than he did, especially the professors here, was a bad idea.

The grounds were gorgeously green in the morning light. Sunbeams could be seen breaking through a cluster of clouds off in the distance. Keith was mesmerized by the scenery enough to set out from the Bloeddewedd tower in the wrong direction. Fortunately, he still arrived twenty minutes early.

"Hello?" he said in a small voice as he walked in, hoping this was the right place.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

History of Magic Empty Re: History of Magic

Post  Raven Whitefeather Mon May 23, 2011 6:48 pm

:15 minutes later:

Raven waltzed, with Evangelina in hand, into the classroom. There were three columns of desks (two chairs per desk). The classroom was well lit with the sunshine through the giant windows facing the many trees located on the property. There were bookshelves upon bookshelves of many books covering the walls of the classroom.

Raven noticed a few other students siting at several of the desk, even some in her coven that sat in the back of the classroom. Noticing that none of them wanted to talk to her, she found a short boy sitting in the middle of the classroom. "Hope you don't mind sittin' in the middle," she announced to the small girl, "I think I just found us our seats."

Walking up the, now noticeable, Asian boy, Raven guided Evangelina to the seat in front of her as she took the seat next to the boy. "Howdy, how are ya?" Raven asked the boy in her slight accent.

<<ooc: Eve gave me the ok to god-mod her character's actions until she can get online after she gets off from work. Her phone isn't working Sad >>
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 47

History of Magic Empty History of Magic

Post  Madeline Palmescoff Mon May 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Madeline walked into her classroom, fully expecting no one to be there yet. She was shocked to see a first year, one of her own coven, milling about. Normally no one was excited to start classes at the institute, and history was the worst of all of them because no one needed a wand.

She took her place at the head of the room and placed her books on the large table.

"Good morning, Mr. Domingo." She smiled at his eagerness. "Please choose a seat while we wait for the rest of the class to file in."
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Keith rigidly nodded as he offered a quick "good morning" to the professor and shuffled to his seat. The next several minutes were spent idly flipping through his copy of "A History of Magic." A few students he didn't know trickled into class slowly.

When the girls walked in, he immediately noticed them and pretended not to.

"Oh, h-hi." said Keith in response to Raven's greeting. He closed his book. "How are you... ...today?" he stopped himself from trailing off, trying to keep his eyes off of Evangelina as he spoke to Raven.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Raven put her arm around the boy's shoulders, "I'm hunkey dorey! Oh, th name's Raven Whitefeatha; I'm in Ceridwen." Looking behind her, Raven noticed some of her coven-mates not being too thrilled that she was in the same coven as they were. It doesn't matter, they'll be sorry that they neva gave me a chance. Plus, they just don't have a sense of humor.

Her accent was far from her norm as it became thicker as she spoke, "Ah, I furgot, this is Evangelina, and yer can tell, she's in Mórrígan by the blue sta' on her jacket."

Last edited by Raven Whitefeather on Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Annie was first to enter, and Kerry closed the door behind them. He followed close behind, to her left. His book backpack--complete with sleeping dragon--was slung over his left shoulder, and his right hand . . . his right hand was located on the small of Annie's back.

He was glad for the millionths time they no longer wore robes. Nothing against The Warts, but that wizard's robe stuff was best left to D&D. He wasn't crazy about a jacket, but at least it fit perfectly, and he didn't have to wear a tie--another great improvement over Hogwarts. Also, having a class in an actual building with morning light streaming in instead of hanging out in the back room of some castle was another gigantic plus.

And, he got to see Annie in a skirt--something that, in two months, he'd never once seen.

After they exposition at Lovecraft Lake they dropped off their dream writings at Professor Arrakis' office and then spent the rest of the weekend exploring. By last night they'd probably seen 60% of the school above ground, and had also found time for a long, slow walk along the entire parapet of the Institute Wall. They discovered stairs all along the length and got off to run through the woods and over the fields. They found all the buildings as well as a few semi-hidden entrances to the tunnels.

They spent all their time together. And it wasn't enough.

Kerry was ready to move forward. The first few days of hell were gone, and though the future was not all that certain--and Kerry was still a touch unsure about the whole "I climbed out of bed the next morning" scene Annie had, because, though it sounded very nice and obviously made her happy, it sounded like stuff his parents did and he wasn't totally ready to go to that happy place yet--they were going to see the future together. It was his promise and pledge, and he meant to keep it.

He checked the jackets of those here. Mórrígan, Ceridwen, Bloeddewedd, Åsgårdsreia--single stars all, so they were all on the same footing. Maybe not the same, he thought, since he was sure very few of these people were total Muggle-borns, but Kerry wasn't going to let the get to him. Not any more. He let that crap bother him at Hoggies: he wouldn't let it happen here.

They moved to the front of the class and Kerry let Annie sit before he unslung his pack and removed his books. Then he adjusted his jacket and sat. He looked to the instructor at the front of the room and nodded, a slight smile crossing his face.

It's time to start anew, he thought. Bring it.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue May 24, 2011 4:00 am

Lina was slightly weirded out that Raven held her hand the entire time from the tower garden to the classroom, but she thought it was similar to when her sisters hold her hand. The two of them talked about many things during the walk. Lina did find out that Raven was the middle, and only girl, out of seven children. Lina also told Raven about her family and about Canada. Lina soon realized that she like having the loud, eccentric girl around, after all, she thought she was funny.

Lina started to play with a black ribbon she tied instead of a tie shortly after Raven sat her in the seat in front of her. Raven was talking to the boy sitting next to her. Lina noticed more and more students walking into the classroom, especially a girl with thick, brown hair and a red-headed boy. She wasn't paying attention when Raven said, in her thick Texan accent, "Ah, I furgot, this is Evangelina, and yer can tell, she's in Mórrígan by the blue sta' on her jacket."

Looking up, she smiled at Raven and the boy, "um, yeah, my name is Evangelina, Evangelina Cromwell, but, um, please call me Lina." The mousy girl started to play with her tie once more, then she asked the boy, "um, what's your name?"
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 am

She forgot about him. Well, they both forgot about him. Keith was nothing short of devastated, but nonetheless relieved to have the chance to talk to some of the first people he really talked to since arriving at the Salem Witches' Institute.

"Hi, I'm Keith!" he said a little too enthusiastically. "Nice to meet you-" he trailed off. ...again. he was about to say. He smiled at them to cover up how disheartened he felt.

After a short pause, Keith turned to Evangelina and said with some controlled curiosity, "Didn't I meet you after the sorting?"

Last edited by Keith Domingo on Tue May 24, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 am

Turning slightly in his seat, Kerry directed an ear towards the people behind him talking. It was always interesting to hear what people had to say, particularly the first few days of school when people were getting together and making friendships and alliances.

Kerry had to admit his mind was on flying class this afternoon. Sure, he'd created a potion, but flying . . . yeah, will be his first taste of magic. And it looks like it would be a good day for flying--

Just then he heard a rumble of thunder outside. Okay, maybe not.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Lina looked at the boy with great intent...did I meet him? she thought to herself. She looked at him even closer and blushed from embarrassment. "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed to the boy. "Keith, I didn't recognize you for a second there. I'm so sorry."

I feel so bad, I can't believe I completely didn't recognize him. Lina mentally punished herself at her own carelessness. Maybe i'm over thinking this. I'm sure he will forgive me...hopefully. She was completely absorb in her own thoughts that she started to give herself a headache. Lina closed her eyes momentarily to relieve it, only to scream at the sound of thunder.

She soon realized that she was the only one that screamed and she blushed even more. She turned towards the front and put her head down on her desk using her arms to cover her face. Why am I such a wimp?
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Tue May 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Raven gave a good laugh at Lina's embarrassment and lean forward on her desk. "Awe, that was cute Lina," her words rang with a sort of melody. Raven looked behind her back to see Keith's face full of distraught. Leaning back she put her hand on Keith's back, "i wouldn't let that get you down; she prahbly didn't reckenize you with that orange shirt on."

Raven attempted to make Keith look on the bright side of things, but was interrupted by the sound of a thunder clap...and a high pitch scream in front of them. The next thing she knew was Lina turning around and putting her head on the table. Something within her thought that what Lina did was adorable, but at the same time.

Raven leaned forward again and put her arm on her back, "it's k Lina, it was sunny earlier; de thunda came from nowhere."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue May 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Lina didn't want to turn around. She was grateful for Raven's jester, but it didn't get rid of the burning sensation that was stuck on her face. Lina gave a sort of groan in response, but she didn't want to look up, at least not yet. When will class start? she complained to herself. The sooner class started, the better. This is not how to start the term.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Tue May 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Kerry was a bit startled when the Asian girl--the blond girl with the shitkicker accent called her "Lina"--screamed when it thundered. Then he started to smile, thinking back to a class--one that might be happening right now--with the Queen of Chocolate getting all hyper over her missing friend.

Sure, getting startled by thunder was a lot different than going into fits of swooning 'cause your faux girlfriend isn't there to hold you hand as you bake an apple pie--he chuckled. Yeah, the memory of the Slythern bint made him want to laugh.

"I wouldn't worry too much," he finally said, addressing , "this will probably clear up by the time we have flying class." Just then it lightninged, and the thunder clap that followed told Kerry the lightening had been close by. "Or, maybe not."

Last edited by Kerry Malibey on Tue May 24, 2011 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Post  Annie Krum Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm

After the intimacy shared between them at the lake, Annie and Kerry were inseparable. All too soon, it was time for their first class—History of Magic.

She stepped into the classroom, all too aware of Kerry’s hand on the small of her back. For a crazy second, she wanted to turn around and leave with him—escaping to the lake, the tunnels, the quidditch pitch…

He guided her to a chair toward the front of the class and she sat, smoothing her skirt underneath her. She was not used to her new uniform yet; skirts were way outside her comfort zone, but she thought she noticed Kerry’s approval when he looked at her outfit this morning.

She slid her books and a few quills out from her backpack and placed it neatly under her chair.

The weather was taking a turn for the worse and sounded like it was getting closer. A thunderclap shook the room and a girl behind them screamed. She turned to see a Morrigan, trying to cover her red face with her arms when Kerry spoke up.

“The storm is getting much worse,” she said to the group of kids. “Perhaps they’ll cancel flying class?”
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Hearing Lina's startled reaction to the thunder, Keith stifled the urge to laugh. As she tried to hide her embarrassment, Raven tried to comfort her. He let out a small sigh, wondering if there was some way he could do so as well.

"Oh... As long as we get to go when the weather clears up." he said. "It would be weird to be stuck inside all day after this class."
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm

"I hope not!" Raven exclaimed to the brown haired girl. She looked over to the two students sitting in front of Lina. She glanced at their jackets and mentioned to herself, I reckon they both be in Cernunnos. Smiling, she continued,"Flyin class looked like it'll be fun."

Raven stretched her arms above her head, taking in a deep breath. I'm as tired as a dog on Sunday, regretting that she didn't sleep the night before. When she was done stretching, she commented, "Besides, a little rain neva hurt nobody."
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Madeline Palmescoff Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Madeline cleared her throat. The storm was getting closer and some of the students had begun getting rowdy.

“Ahem,” she began. “Welcome to History of Magic. History is not as dead as you think.

“History is alive. The effects of actions long ago still resonate throughout our present world. They continue to shape our environments, beliefs, political and social systems. It's not just about dates and odd names; with death and destruction, persecution and treachery, love and war, poverty and riches, History of Magic is a fascinating and enriching story of how we became who we are. Wizards and Witches. Muggles and Mystical. And some of it might surprise you.

“Our best defense is a solid foundation in history. So much of what is current in our world today, has happened before. With an excellent grasp on history, we can avoid making the same mistakes over again. In learning about these events and important advancements throughout time, we will also learn about the consequences of these actions and question how life could have been different if certain actions and events were to never to have taken place.

“I hope you come to appreciate history in its many aspects. It is the only subject in which the past can change the future.

“This class will focus on a Survey of the Dark Arts: A look at the rise and fall and rise again of the Dark Arts throughout the ages.

“We will cover the early beginnings of Dark Magic, the creation of the Unforgiveable Curses, Famous Prisons, and Grindewald. The latter half of the class will focus mainly on Voldemort and recent Dark Arts activity over the past thirty years.

“You will be graded for this course. All class work will be given orally and graded. I will be looking for good grammar, complete sentences, knowledge of your topic, etc. Oral reports should be between 200-1000 words. Longer reports are not given more weight.

“Your total grade will be posted at the end of term along with your accumulated coven points.

“Grades of Outstanding, or O, will have earned 101+ percent and 25 coven points.

“Grades of Exceeds Expectations, or E, will have earned 90 percent and 20 coven points.

“Grades of Acceptable, or A, will have earned 80 percent and 15 coven points.

“Grades of Passing, or P, will have earned 70 percent and 10 coven points.

“Grades of Dreadful, or D, will have earned 60 percent and 5 coven points.

“Grades of Troll, or T, will have earned 50 percent and 0 coven points.”

Madeline crossed to the front of her large desk and picked up her textbook.

“Please open your books to Chapter One.” Madeline read aloud,

“Magic is an imperfect science, imperfect meaning that it is unpredictable and its production relies solely on the level of understanding and personal power of the witch or wizard trying to use it. Since it is not something that can be measured by any normal means, it continues to be an area of guesswork and interpretation. There is no surefire way to tell which wizards and witches are born with greatness; nor should magic be the sole measure of that, as character and other attributes add so much more. What is important to know though is that each magical being is born with both light and dark magic within them and it is in this magic that intent is created.

“Light magic, or as some call it Good Magic, Benign Magic ,White Magic, or Friendly Magic, is fairly self-explanatory. This particular type of magic focuses on the positive energies of a person’s being and the world around them. While many wizards and witches hold light magic and dark magic close to equal amounts, very few have white magic in spades. It is the underlying belief in the wizarding world that only one wizard of the light can be alive at the same time that a wizard of the Dark is. When one dies, another is born, either literally, or the seeds that are already implanted in that person’s magical core activate.

“On the other hand, there is Dark Magic. It is also known as Evil Magic, Maligned Magic, and Black Magic. This particular form of magic focuses on the negative energies of a person’s being and the world that surrounds them. Dark Magic is at its most powerful when it is invoked through raw emotion. It is also nearly impossible to control at its peak, and as a result very few witches and wizards learn to manipulate emotion as to where they can use the magic at will. Dark magic is generally what is used when young children exhibit accidental magic. It is also important to point out that while accidental magic is a form of dark magic, the acts that are the result need not necessarily be considered so. To actually cause pain and harm would require the actual harnessing of the negative emotions and at such a young age, children just don’t seem to know how to do that without a wand.

“A prime example of the activation of the Magic within one’s core is that of Grindewald and Lord Voldemort. Grindewald was the darkest wizard of his time until his defeat in 1945 by the Light Sorcerer, Albus Dumbledore. It was around the death of this Dark Wizard that the final stirrings in the core of Lord Voldemort awakened and helped him to find his calling in Dark Magic. It is important to point out that while he was already studying dark magic prior to Grindewald’s defeat, it was not until after the sorcerer had been killed that Tom Riddle made his final descent into Dark Magic when he killed his grandparents and father later that same year. It is with the murder of his family on his hands that sealed the seeds of black within him that had been awakened and forever claimed him to the darkness.

“Dark Magic generally employs one’s knowledge of herbs, potions, and spell work. At its worse, there are the three unforgiveable curses, each of which violate those who they are placed upon, or could possibly inflict death. Sacrifice, blood letting, and abnormal eating and sleeping habits are hallmarks of Dark Magic. Their common uses have misled many in the thought that those three areas constitute all there is to this art. As with everything else, it is a bit more complicated than that. Those three things are just a small part of the bigger world that Black Magic encompasses. The actual uses, types, and bands of wizards and witches that use Dark Magic is a subject best saved for students in their O.W.L. year or higher. This book will take a look at some of the more spectacular uses of Dark Magic and its impact throughout history.

Madeline put down her book, marking her place at the end of the chapter. She looked out into the classroom and smiled. “I hope you were all paying attention,” she said, flicking her wand at the chalkboard. The chalk began writing:

1) What is magic?
    2) Where is intent created?
    3) Light Magic is known as all of the following except:
    a) Benign Magic
    b) White Magic
    c) Harmless Magic
    d) Friendly Magic
    4) Dark Magic is invoked through ______ _________.
    5) What kind of magic is a lesser form of Dark Magic?
    6) When were the seeds of Dark awakened in Tom Riddle?
    7) What are the hallmarks of Dark Magic?

“Please pick one question," she said," and answer fully and completely, keeping in mind my rules at the beginning of my lecture."
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Madeline Palmescoff Tue May 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Madeline watched as her students obediently copied down the questions. When the majority seemed finished, she spoke.

"I expect you all have some questions of your own? Now would be the time to ask."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Tue May 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Kerry raised his hand, and when he was accologed he asked, "Professor, some of these questions seem a little like, 'pick one of the above and go on'. You would like a little explanation on everything as to why our answer is correct?"
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Madeline Palmescoff Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Madeline nodded at the young man. “I understand all of you are first years and this is all relatively new to you,” she smiled again at all of the students in the classroom. “I would like to get a feel for how much you know.

"Please understand that, if a question you would like to answer has already been taken—repeating what has already been said will result in an automatic failure. Be original, make sense, and add in anything relevant that you feel belongs in your answer.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Kerry thought for a moment, then selected his question and began to write his answer:

“Dark Magic is invoked through one’s emotions. The proper term would be 'raw', but it seems that raw emotion would indicate a state of uncontrolled release, and this would be counterproductive to the effect the wizard/witch wants to achieve. I would forward that what the dark wizard/witch seeks are powerful emotions, such as hate or anger, but for the spell to be effective they need to harness the emotional state and channel it, often through their foci—the wand.

“As stated, magic is an imperfect science, and as with Muggle science, if the theory is ill-defined, the end result will be chaotic and/or unrealized. If the emotions of the dark wizard/witch are not controlled and focused, even the worst dark magic will end with an unwanted effect.

“It seems to me that the most powerful emotions must be utilized so that every bit of whatever energy they impart to the magic is employed directly and to great use. The greater the control of the emotions, the greater the effect, be it potency or duration.

“I see the inability to control and focus these raw emotions as the reason why there aren’t more dark wizard/witches around, and why the ones that do exist vary in ability and power. For it if were a matter of channeling ‘hate’ into a Dark Art spell, then each of those effect utilizing ‘hate’ would work the same. I’m guessing that is not the case, that even dark wizards/witches who have studied together see their magic acting in completely different ways.” (OOC: 261 words.)

He put his quill aside and shook out his hand, hoping he got rid of this cramp soon, otherwise test taking was going to be a pain.

Last edited by Kerry Malibey on Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Post  Annie Krum Tue May 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Annie took her time, rereading the chapter and decided to answer question two. She picked up her quill and began writing.

Where is intent created?

Magical intent is created from within. Each witch or wizard is born with both light and dark magic within him or her.

Black magic spells are those that are performed with the sole intention to do harm to a subject, while light magic spells are performed with the sole intention of being helpful. Light magic is never performed to produce harm or injury or to destroy; it is only used to help an individual or oneself. Light magic is pure and the intent to perform it must be done with both a pure heart and mind.

Concerning Dark Magic, the three Unforgivable Curses, the Cruciatus Curse, the Imperius Curse, and the Killing Curse, are some of the most powerful known Dark Arts spells in our world. Each of them requires great willpower, powerful intent, and great skill in order to bring about the desired effect of the curse on its victim.

In order to perform the Unforgivable Curses, the caster must create that dark intent strictly from within. This means that they need to want the effects a fair amount for the effects to last. It is not enough to simply be angry; the caster must intend to cause pain for its own sake.
    (OOC: 208 Words.)

Once she completed her essay, she sat back to wait to be called on to present it.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Tue May 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Raven groaned when the professor had them do an assignment. She sat back and chose the easiest question to answer. Picking up her quill, she wrote:

Raven Whitefeather
    Coven of Ceridwen
    History of Magic
    Professor Palmescoff

What is magic?

Magic means different things to many people. To Muggles, magic is the art of producing illusions as means of entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, and other means of deception. To the rest of the world, magic is the art of manipulating aspects of reality. Magic is a natural force that can be used to override the usual laws of natural.

Magic has been practiced in all cultures, and utilized ways of understanding, experiencing and influencing the world somewhat akin to those offered by religion, though it is sometimes regarded as more focused on achieving results than religious worship, usually in the East.

For a person's ability to perform magic to be of use, much training is needed. "Wild" magic will still manifest itself subconsciously in moments of strong apprehension, fear or anger. The best example I can give was the time my brothers, Kelly and Leigh, took my stuff puppy dog and I accidently turned their shoelaces into snakes. Almost all magic is done with the use of a supporting tool or focus, typically a wand. You can do unfocused and uncontrolled magic without a wand but to do really good spells, you need a wand

<<occ- 214 words>>

Setting down her quill, I should get an E or something 'cause this exceeds everyones expectations.

Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Finally sitting up from her embarrassment, Evangelina listen to the professor's lesson with great intent. When the time came for the assignment, Evangelina picked up her quill and let the words flow on the page.

When were the seeds of Dark awakened in Tom Riddle?

Although we can’t say for sure what was caused Tom Riddle to go to become one of the most infamous Dark Lords of all time, but we can suspect that there were some indicators that might have caused him to become evil.

From what I’ve read, Tom Riddle’s hatred of Muggle-borns and half-bloods might have started when his father left his mother. After his mother passed away, Tom was sent to a Muggle orphanage in London. His fear of death also might have been his beginning into the Dark Arts. Tom also showed a great fear of death; considering it a human weakness. He claimed that his mother couldn't have been a witch, because if she was magical than she would have been able to avoid dying.

During his time at the orphanage, Tom got into several fights; on one occasion, he used his powers to hang the boy he fought’s rabbit from the rafters. He also used his powers to traumatize two other orphans into silence. According to textbook, Tom frequently stole from fellow orphans and hid their possessions in his cupboard as if they were trophies.

Albus Dumbledore came was the one that brought Tom to Hogwarts, a wizarding school in Scotland, after realizing his abilities as a wizard. Tom's abuse of his wizarding powers alarmed Dumbledore. He resolved to keep a close eye on him, "something I should have done in any case, seeing as he was alone and friendless." Dumbledore also warned Tom that at Hogwarts he would be introduced to the laws that controlled the usage of magic in the wizarding world, and that law-breakers were punished with severity not by Hogwarts but the Ministry of Magic. Riddle's demeanour changed after Dumbledore reprimanded him; he became more guarded and shielded his reactions.

During his years at Hogwarts, no one ever suspected that Tom was could ever become as evil as he was, after all, Tom was exceptionally brilliant, a Prefect, and a model student. However, the suspension was there when Tom gathered together a gang of Slytherin goons, which many of them became the first Death Eaters. Tom claimed they were his friends, and would make it appear so in public, but in truth, he cared very little for them, using them as servants. He manipulated them to do his darker deeds in discreet manners, which led to nasty incidents that were never connected to them. Another example of his dark seeds was when he let loose the basilisk, which killed a student. To keep the school from shutting down, he framed fellow student and his pet Acromantula. Tom convinced then-Headmaster Armando Dippet that the Acromantula was the monster that had terrorized the school. The student was later expelled.

(ooc 464 words)
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Madeline Palmescoff
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Madeline Palmescoff Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Madeline sat behind her desk and called up each student in alphabetical order by coven. When it was Keith's turn, Madeline glowered at him when she realized he was not prepared.

“I am very sorry to see you couldn't be bothered to complete the assignment, Mr. Domingo. It pains me to do this, but please report to the detention hall after class and place your name on the list for punishment.”

Madeline was now in a very foul mood. “By a show of hands, how many other students could not be bothered to complete my assignment?”

When no one else moved, she grinned. “Well then, let’s carry on.” She listened to each student read their responses and was in higher spirits by the end of class.

“With the exception of one," she glared over at Keith, "I am very proud of you all. You have exceeded my expectations. I can see we are going to have a very good year together.” She stood and crossed back to the front of her desk.

“Please be prepared to discuss the origins of the Unforgivable Curses as well as the Dark Magic Hierarchy scale—namely those wizards and witches called dabblers, pages, prominents, elitists, and sorcerers, for our next class.

“You are all dismissed.”

Last edited by Madeline Palmescoff on Wed May 25, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am