The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

Herbology Class, 7 Sept.

Holoč Semplen
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 38

Re: Herbology Class, 7 Sept.

Post  Holoč Semplen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:15 pm

"Ah! Good question, Annie." He pointed back to where they'd exited from the greenhouse. "As you enter through those doors you will find shoves and hand carts to move the bags. Which reminds me--"

Holoč removed his wand and, walking up to Annie, tapped her lightly on the forehead. He then walked a little way away from the dung pile, where the students noticed a collecting of heavy bags that seemed to be color coded. Holoč touched his wand to a group of bags with a green border and a large "K" on them. There was just the faintest of glows as the wand made contact.

"There," he said, returning to the group and touching Raven on the forehead. "These bags here will be your bags, in which you will have your own fertilizer." He touched a group of bags with a yellow border. "Each bag holds 2 kilograms of processed dung, and there are five bags each." Next he touched Keith and, in turn, touched his bags. "The bags are being charmed so that only you can open and seal them, and--for the sake of this lesson--you are the only one who will be able to take them into the building." He did Lina next. "And, for that matter, you will need to stack them on your pallet as well, which is also color coded."

Lastly he processed Kerry, his bags bordered in green with a "M" on them. "Each of you will have 10 kilograms of dung for the year, which you will use for your projects. You will work together to fill bag and move them inside--but each of you will be responsible for your bags and putting them away on your pallet."

He looked at the somewhat worried faces of his student. "Any questions?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 17

Post  Kerry Malibey on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Kerry held up his hand. "Professor, how do we, um, seal up the bags? Are they like a zipper? Or . . . what?" He didn't know if he was hip to all this physical labor--but, hey? If anything, Kerry could use the exercise.
    Holoč Semplen
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Holoč Semplen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Holoč nodded again. "Come over here, all of you," he said, walking over to the bags. "Each one of these are now sensitive to your touch; they are, in a sense, enchanted. And you will need to charm it open and closed."

He picked up a bag that was not coded or marked except for a green border. "Along the open edge here, touch the bag with your wand and say this--" He placed his wand at one edge, said "Signatus" and moved his wand down the opened end. As he did the bag sealed up, like some kind of magical Ziploc.

When Holoč was finished, he added, "And when you are ready to open--" Once more the wand was at one end of the opening, which the students could see was now colored much brighter than the rest of the light green around the bag's edges. "Retrecto" he said, only this time as he moved his wand the bag opened.

Laying the bag aside, Holoč said, "It may take a few attempts to make it work correctly, but they are very simple charms." He looking down at the suddenly-not-so-bright faces. "Questions?"
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 18

Post  Annie Krum on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Annie looked at the bags and then the pile of poop. After the high of potion making, this seemed tame. However, she never did shy away from hard work—and she wasn’t about to now.

She smiled up at her coven head and said, “No, Professor.”
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Kerry shook his head as well. Looks like no one will be able to steal our shit, he thought, and smiled broadly.
    Holoč Semplen
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Holoč Semplen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:07 pm

"Now, you will each need to help the others bag their dung." Holoč walked around by the student's bags. "I understand some of your are not enjoying the idea of spending the afternoon bagging dung, but one way to establish a connection to your plants is to be connected to them in every way. And, though it might not feel like it, knowing how to feed and keep them happy will make you more connected to your garden.

"Also . . . if you think that perhaps you will not do this and the elves will come by later and finish for you--yes, they will." Holoč nodded heartily. "Very much so. They will also note how many bags they needed to stack for you--and for everyone one of your bags an elf needs to stack for you, your coven will be deducted 10 points." He shook his finger for emphasis. "Please don't make the elves do your work. They do not need to pass this class."

He paused, squinting into the sun. At least it is not raining; that would be miserable. "I will have an assignment posted for you before you leave. It will be something we will examine in the next class. Until then--" Holoč indicated the pile of dragon dung. "Enjoy!"

Holoč had walked only a few meters when he stopped and said, "Oh, I nearly forgot. We have showers inside the building, because... well, this can be dirty work. So when you are done you can shower here before returning to the Dinning Hall." He smiled lopsidedly. "After all, you do not want to smell like the rear of a dragon when you are eating, do you?"
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Annie felt the blood drain from her face and her stomach revolt when Professor Semplen mentioned food. No, not now. She squeezed her eyes shut but could feel herself losing the battle.

“Excuse me,” she said, pressing her hand tightly over her mouth. Annie sprinted along the side of the south wall of the building, rounded the corner—and promptly emptied the contents of her lunch onto the lawn. That’s what I get for eating a big lunch…

After a few more minutes of awful retching, Annie felt well enough to rejoin the small group. She yanked off her gloves and wiped her face with her hands. She was sweating and felt a touch woozy, but at least her stomach was empty.

Annie trotted back toward her class. “I’m so sorry," she said, her voice weak and uneven. “I am much better now and ready to work.”

Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Kerry went over to Annie and put his arm around her, giving her a big hug. He whispered, "I'll get your bags filled up so we can get done." With that he headed into the greenhouse and picked up two shovels and was about to grab a handcart when he noticed a large, 4-wheeled pushcart off to the side. Just the thing we need, he thought. He held the shovels against the cart handle and pushed.

It made a lot of noise, but Kerry didn't care. While everyone was looking at him, he stopped it between the bags and the fertilizer. "We can use this," he said. "The Professor didn't say we couldn't push a lot of this, um, stuff up to the doors; he just said we had to haul our own stuff in. So what we do is bag this stuff here, the put the bags on the cart and move them up to the door--" Kerry pointed off towards the greenhouse. "--a few of them at a time. That's better than trying to carry all these full bags all the way there."

Kerry grabbed a shovel and walked dramatically over to the processed dragon dung. "All right," he said in a somewhat over-the-top voice, "who's ready to bag some dragon shit?"

Last edited by Kerry Malibey on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Annie giggled at Kerry and watched him as he moved he moved the noisy pushcart closer to the pile. When he was done, she sidled up close to him and kissed his cheek. “You’re a genius,” she whispered in his ear.

Annie handed him one of his own bags to go with the shovel. “A gift,” she said. “C’mon, let’s get this over with.” She put her own bag on the ground and sunk her shovel deep into the mess in front of her.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 am

Instructing Annie to get her bags, Kerry picked up a shovel and, as soon as Annie rolled up, he started filling her packages up. With the first couple of shovel scoops he got an idea about how to do this. Don't dig up too much; just put it in there and dump--and keep thinking of it as 2 kilograms a bag--

Even so, Kerry wasn't used to physical labor, and after the first bag was done (and filled, quite expertly onto the cart, by Annie), he was about half way into the second one when his shoulders began to ache. Still, he toughed it through. "I can get something for soreness in the hospital, right?" he asked Annie after the second bag was done and up on the cart.

When they were nearly done with the third of Annie's bag, Kerry told her, "We should stack yours by the door after this one. I think 6 kilos is gonna be sort of rough to push over this yard." Annie gave a look and nodded, and when she sealed her bag a few minutes later and dumped it on the cart Kerry tossed the shovel along side--he didn't want to leave it behind--and helped Annie push it to the edge of the door. They unloaded and quickly pushed the cart back, laughing.

Kerry ran the numbers through his head. That took about 15 minutes, so . . . 2 more of Annie's and all of mine . . . we could finish in another 30 minutes. He wasn't sure how good Annie was shoveling, but he knew she couldn't be any worse than him.
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Impressed by Kerry’s resolve, Annie grabbed the shovel, before he could protest, and began her turn. A few times, she saw him falter, but he never gave up and he never complained. She was determined not to play the part of the damsel in distress, but after the first bag was finished, she was in a world of pain. Her arms burned and her sides ached. She sealed the bag up, turned it on its side, and flopped down on top of it.

“Holoc is pure evil, Kerry,” she grinned at him. “I’m sweating like I don’t think I have ever sweated before in my entire life.” She wiped her brow dramatically with her arm, taking care not to touch her face with the disgusting gloves. “And I smell worse than I did after fainting in the owlery.” She wrinkled up her nose, giggling at the memory.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

They managed to fill up three of Kerry's bags quickly--Annie has worked pretty fast, even though it didn't look easy for her. Even in the semi-cool air, they were both sweating pretty good. They moved his bags to next to the door and took their time filling each of there remaining two bags.

Pushing both bags back to the door, Kerry realized that, as a group, they hadn't really done a lot. But then, hey, right now his arms hurt and his back hurt and he figured he smelled a little like a dragon's arse. He smiling thinking about Annie's comment about the Hogwarts Owlery, and thought, yes, we do smell worse than there.

Getting the last bag off, He showed Annie where the smaller handcarts were so she could move her bags to her pallet, and Kerry returned the bigger cart and shovel to the others. He planted it in the dung, took a deep breath, and grinned. "I love the smell of dragon shit in the afternoon. Smells like . . . poop."

Then he went to go stack his own bags, take a shower and get something to eat with Annie.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Lina quietly started to fill her bags full of unko. Although it was, indeed, disgusting, she did it very slowly, and dainty like. She wanted avoid getting overly dirty, so she set her bags open on the ground as she picked up a shovel and started to put the grossness into the bags.

Her first shovel fill didn't work out as planned as it was too heavy for her to actually lift. After struggling for several minutes, she decided to only fill the shovel's troff about half way before she would actually put it into a bag. Sticking the big shovel into a bag also didn't work out as planed as the bag kept moving around. Getting frustrated with the whole process, she decided to go get a hand shovel instead.

Running to put the big shovel away and grabbing a large, handheld shovel instead, Lina kneeled down near the unko and started shovel in poop by the second. I wonder why Professor Semplen didn't give us these smaller shovels instead, it would have made a lot more sense, she thought to herself.

It wasn't until she was halfway done filling her second bag when she realized how hard it was putting in a small amount into such a large bag. Lina ended up alternating between arms just to finish out her second bag. Looking around, Lina wasn't sure if she should ask either Keith or Raven for help. She saw that they were also struggling with their bags, she didn't want to impose on them, I'll figure out something.

When she started on her third bag, Lina was too tired to keep going on the hand shovel that she got up and went to get the big shovel again. When she got back to where her bags were, they were already completely filled; all they had to do was be sealed and put away. Dumbfounded, she looked at both Keith and Raven, who were still shoveling their own bags, I wonder if one of them did this.

Sealing her bags, Lina slowly (and I do mean slowly) brought one bag in at a time to her designated place. One by one, she would struggle picking up her bag and one step every few minutes walk the short distance to bring her bag to her place and stack it on the bag before.

When she brought her last bag to her spot, she went back to where Keith and Raven were at and asked, "um, do you guys need any help?"
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Raven jumped at the opertunity to go bag some crap. She was used to it since she would go with her uncle to bag crap all the time as part of their Uncle-Neice time, and the reason why their relationship was go great.

Raven's trick to keeping a bag to stay open was to roll the edges down to keep it open, then put a small amount in at first to keep it from rolling around everywhere. As soon as the bag as filled to that part of the folded down part, she would roll the edges back out and filled it some more. She found this most effective as it only took no more than a few minutes to fill a bag if she did it quickly.

Raven was able to fill almost three bags before Lina and Keith were able to fill their one. Feeling kind of bad for them, Raven slowed down a bit so the three of them could hang out after class; they were becoming great friends, why not hang out with them outside of class?

Raven started to pick up the pace when she felt that class was about to end. She was on her last bag when she noticed that Lina up and left again. Mind as well help her and Keith out, she thought to herself.

Double timing, Raven was able to finish bagging Lina's remaining two bags, and toping on one of her bags, before she got to work finishing hers. Streching out her sore muscles, she sealed her bags and brought them to where she was supposed to put her bags of crap and went back to help Keith. Man, this Keith kid is kinda pathetic, she thought as she started to approch him, then again, I'm sure he's cool, so, whateva.

"Don't panic, Raven is here to save the day!" she announced as she took one of his already open bags and began to roll down the edges. "Don't worry Keith, I'll help ya bag this and we'll be outta here in no time!"

Right when Raven began to shovel the crap into the bag, Lina asked, "um, do you guys need any help?"

Looking up, and before Keith could answer, Raven exclaimed, "I think Keith and I can handle it. If ya want, you could wait for us to finish, then the three of us can hang out a bit."

Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Lina nodded as she watched Keith and Raven bag the dragon poop. She smiled at the two, but felt a bit useless as she just sat there doing nothing.

Looking at the already filled bag, Lina asked Keith, "um, do you want me to bring that to your station?"
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:07 am

"Oh, sure! Thanks." Keith exclaimed. "Signatus." he intoned as he sealed the bag. This was a strange situation for him. Here he was, reviewing the basics of gardening that were handed down to him from his father. The difference was that he was doing it was classmates. Also, the fertilizer was still crap, but it was probably magical crap. The implications kept him thinking and quiet, but Lina had pulled him back to the surface.

He was also glad that Raven was helping him, her assertive and accented voice kept him aware of his surroundings. Watching her work inspired him to work faster despite his slow pace.

Keith began to feel blisters under his gloves from holding his shovel too tightly. He ignored them, instead saying "I hate being short!" thinking that he could do this a lot faster if he were taller and stronger like most of the other male students. Another bag was finished. He wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his temporarily bare right hand. It was a good thing he wasn't too grossed out by the manure.
    Holoč Semplen
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Holoč Semplen on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:21 pm

As the afternoon dragged on Holoč decided to check up on the students. They were almost finished with their work, so outside the showers he posted the information for the next class.

Good job by them, he thought. Some potential there. We'll see in a few weeks.

Class is over. Lesson for next class will be posted.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm