The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

Enter the Dark Arts Class--If you Dare!

Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 16

Re: Enter the Dark Arts Class--If you Dare!

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

"I've only visited the states a few times before, but we've only ever go to Las Vegas and some times that beach in California...what is it called, Venice Beach?" She wasn't too sure about the beaches in California, they all were crowded and dirty compared to the ones back home. "There was also that big city in California...Los Angeles? Before my mom's parents moved back to Japan."

Changing the subject, Lina continued, "but that has to be interesting; going to the TV sets must be cool!"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 17

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Kerry was nodding. He never got to talk about his old life--and not just his life in California. "Old" was his Muggle life, and even though he was putting that behind him, he still had some great memories.

"Oh, L.A. is crazy," he said. "I went there once. Most of the time we stayed in San Francisco. We also went into the mountains once in a while, but then you've seen them, being in Vancouver."

Kerry thought about his few visits to the BBC in Cardiff. "Yeah, the sets are nice. I really liked seeing that. Got some stuff autographed, too." He almost sighed aloud. "I left all that back at home. In Wales." This time he did sigh as he though about the items, knowing most he couldn't wear, but . . . might be nice to put up in the dorm. "Maybe I'll bring it next time."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Lina smiled, "yep, lots of mountains in Canada, but where you really want to go is the Great Bear Rainforest, you can see some cool things there, but you kind of have to be careful, sometimes Muggles go there for documentaries."

"You should bring some of your things with you so school would be more homely." Taking out her locket, she opened it to reveal a picture of her parents, and two little girls. "I always wear this, makes me think that I'm not alone here at school."
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:54 pm

The moment Kerry saw the family picture his heart sank a little. He saw Lina's parents and sisters, and it made him think of what he had back in Cardiff--and what the Phoenix had shown him, what his mother really thought of him.

But you know what? he thought. I have a family here, now. I know some cool teachers and I am making friends . . . and mostly, I have Annie. He looked over to her, catching her profile. I'm really with her.

Kerry gave a little smile hoping his eyes lit up. "I think you're right, Lina," he said. "I need to make this place a little more like it's mine. Like I truly live here."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Giggling, she agreed with him about making the school more homelike. "uh hua! We are going to be here for 7 years, so we have to make the best of it. But you know, it's always fun when you have friends around." She grinned wider than she ever did at the thought of making new friends, "I hope we can be good friends. Actually, I know we'll be good friends because we both like cool stuff like anime."

Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Kerry nodded. "Oh, I like a lot of sci fi stuff. One of these days I'll get my iPad to work right and I'll have a ton of books to read--" He looked at his Dark Arts book. "Besides the ones we already have!

"But I was thinking--" He looked around, seeing a few others coming in, "I wonder what sort of clubs we can have. I mean, I'm sure there are magical clubs, but--" He shrugged, thinking, How different can this be from a regular school? "What about stuff for clubs like when we're home?"
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:24 pm

"Sci fi is the best escape from both the Muggle and Wizard society," Lina admitted, "It gives you some sense of Muggle reality, as well as Wizard reality, if that makes sense." She looked a bit baffled at her strange explanation, but she really hoped that what she meant was translated.

Lina changed the subject in her mind when she thought more about what Kerry said. He does have a point, she thought. "I don't know. I'm really not to sure about how many students here grew up with Muggle things around. I mean, I only know about it because I live around Muggles, and my grandparents in Japan are Muggles as well. I think that most of the students here are either half-blood or pure blood."
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:32 pm

"I'm probably one of the few Muggle-born 1st Years," he said, "so all that stuff is normal for me. I'm learning to put it behind me, because . . ." He grinned now, thinking back to the craziness last Friday and Saturday. "I was told it would help me be a better wizard.

"So far it does seem to help." He was grinning broadly, thinking of Flying, of Transfigurations, of Potions. "And this is just the first week."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 pm

"Oh, that's alright," Lina waved away the thought of Kerry being one of the few Muggle-borns away, "I like living around Muggles, it's very interesting to grow up...um...normal?" she thought of the word, but wasn't sure how well he would take it. Her best friends back home were all Muggles, and she always hoped to go to school with them like other children, instead of lying to them saying that she's going to an advance learning school in America.

"My mom always said that 'you can be a great witch, well in your case it would be wizard, or not, the choice is yours.' So I'm sure will make a wonderful wizard if you work hard for it," she said, trying to reassure him, similarly as her mother reassured her before she left for school.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Kerry laughed a little when Lina mentioned growing up "normal". The more he thought about it, the less "normal" his Muggle life had seen. He'd been away from him family for almost 2 months now and, like it or not, he was growing a lot.

Growing up, he thought. I was so damn isolated, and now-- He couldn't believe how far he'd come. Not magically, mind you. But personally: he was very, very different than he'd been just after his birthday, when he's spent the whole day hiding away from everything, not wanting to be seen--

"Yeah," he said. "Growing up normal . . . it's a lot different than this." His closed his eyes as he grinned. He didn't want Lina to see what he was thinking.
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Raven's thoughts were else where when she finally entered the Dark Arts classroom. Raven wasn't one for learning magical curses, but she felt that she may have to defend herself if the time ever came. Raven didn't feel like the Dark Arts class was the subject for her.

As she entered the classroom, she bee-lined to the seat next to Keith. I like this guy, he just needs to talk a bit more.

Poking the boy on the cheek. Raven said, "Ya need to stop zonin out Mr. Domingo." She grinned at the boy that seemed a bit spacy.
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:18 pm

The darkness of the room was almost hypnotic. Minutes slipped by as the conversation in the room seemed to fade into a drone.

"Oh, hello. I didn't see you there." Keith had been hearing the conversation between Lina and Kerry, but he wasn't really listening after realizing he didn't know what they were talking about. Instead, he was trying to think of the last show he saw on TV before packing up his things to come to this school.

"Do you know what we're learning in this class? I really have no idea." he asked.
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Raven looked at Keith, eyeing him. I'm suprised that he doesn't know about the Dark Arts. "Oh, um," she began to say nervously, "Defence Against the Dark Arts is just that, you learn to defend yourself against Dark Wizards, you know, like You-Know-Who, or even Death Eaters." She wasn't too sure how to discribe the class to him so she told him what she remembered from the class discription.
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 pm

The more that he thought about the things that Raven spoke of, the more an odd feeling began to tug at the edge of his mind. There was something he was supposed to remember, but he was unable to recall it. He hated it when this happened. Whatever was forgotten always seemed to be so important.

"That makes sense. I should've read it." Keith replied, internally dropping the matter. "That sounds really cool and kind of scary." Keith sounded more fascinated than scared as he spoke.
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 49

Post  Helena Lovecraft on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm

"Oh, it's more than just cool and scary, Mr. Domingo." Professor Lovecraft stepped up from the staircase in the storage hallway that led from her office in the dungeon. "It's an amazing sub-section of magic that few people ever venture into." She stood for a moment behind her deck, noticing a few things that needed to be put into place before class could start--but for the most part everything was ready.

"The unfortunate thing is," she added, "is that the very thing that makes the Dark Arts so amazing is the very thing that makes them so dangerous." She walked slowly towards the front row, stopping a couple of meters short of the students. "It's the seduction." She turned on a very lopsided, humorless grin. "Seduction always gets you."

As she moved a storage bank with cubby holes into place, Helena said, "And Miss Whitefeather: we're going to do more than learn simple defense." She turned and flashed an almost warning smile. "When we're finished, you'll know how to make the real thing work."
    Ella Farrell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Ella Farrell on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 am

Ellen looked over at Annie. "So, what do think we'll learn today? Sounds like a protego spell or boggart or something. What do you think?"
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Ellen's outburst was all she could take. "Who do ya think you are?" Raven practically yelled at the girl. She was full of rage as she walked up to the girl and grabbed her collar of her shirt and pulled her out of her seat. With the two of them standing, it was revealed that Raven was only slightly taller than Ellen, about 2 inches taller.

Shoving the girl against the desk, "First you shove ya nose into our business, Second ya interupted MY conversation with Annie, and now you're actin all high and mighty; that you're the best thing that ever hit SWI!" Throwing the blonde against the floor, Raven continued her rant, "No one will say nothin to you, but I will: you're a rude, messed up girl that probably thinks the whole world is against you! Guess what? It's against all of us!"

Ellen eventually stood up and looked like she was going to strike her, but Raven didn't allow it. She put up a stance and as soon as she was close enough, Raven pulled her arm back and punched the blonde girl in the face. Damn that hurts!!! she shouted in her mind. She shooked out her hand as she jumped on the girl and started wale on the girl.
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Helena didn't mind a little "letting off" before class started--she did enough of it when she was in Slythern--and she'd been expecting something to happen with how this one girl was putting herself into... situtions... but when the blond girl threw the punch--

"Okay, okay!" Helena rushed in before there was any more. "Both you, time out!" She checked the Åsgårdsreia, saw the wound was more glancing than anything--then once Helena had her seated, she pulled the Ceridwen girl aside into a quiet corner.

"Normally, I would dock your ass point until they fell out of your bum," she said softly, keeping the conversation between them, "but I do believe in second chances. Which means... your first is burned with me." She looked past the girl's shoulders to check on the Åsgårdsreia once more. "But another throw like that and I'll send you back to the loving embrace of Mistress Jessica, hum?"

Leaning in closer, Helena added, "Raven, isn't it? Ahm..." She gave her a very cold stare. "You really must wait until you're in the tunnels... it's so very quiet down there." She nodded back towards the desks, then gave Raven a very soft grin. "Sit," she said loudly. "Class will be starting in a moment!" Helena told the class in no uncertain terms, and prepared herself for what was to come....
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:03 am

The Class is now locked. Any "after class" RP is now here. Watch for instructions on where to post your assignment.

The time is now 3:07 PM. Date is still 8 September.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:41 am