The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

Lina Takes Flight!

Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 17

Lina Takes Flight!

Post  Kerry Malibey on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:24 pm

All dressed up for flying--once again!--Kerry waited with his new broom for Annie and Lina to appear. The air around the Bastion was so much more relaxed than the last two times he was here. With Quidditch tryouts going on a lot of the brooms were gone, though it didn't look as if any of the cabinets were completely empty.

The one student watching the Bastion was pretty casual about it all: "Just grab a broom and have fun." So Kerry had been looking over the equipment like he knew what he was doing. Sure, he didn't really know, but he was getting a good idea about it.

The question in his mind was--what sort of broom would Lina want to ride?
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Re: Lina Takes Flight!

Post  Annie Krum on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Annie emerged in her flying gear with Lina by her side. She caught sight of Kerry, eyeing the broom cases, and headed in that direction. She admired him in his outfit while his back was turned away and smiled to herself.

"Ready to fly, Lina," she said and quickened her step to reach Kerry.

Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 16

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 am

Lina felt out of her element. It could be that it was supposed to have fit that way, but what she wore felt tight in some places, while lose in others. How in the world is anyone supposed to fly around in this? she questioned. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be," Lina finally said aloud.

Together, the girls walked up to Kerry, who was still eyeing the different brooms. Lina stood beside him to see the different brooms that were there. Speaking up rather suddenly, she asked, "so how can you tell which broom is good learning on?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 am

Remembering their instruction a couple of weeks ago, Kerry led both girls over to one of the storage cabinets. "We used Cleansweep Fives the first time," he said. He opened the cabinet relieving the brooms within. Due to today's the quidditch tryouts there were only three brooms left.

Kerry selected one and handed it to Lina. "I'm no expert, but this will do you, Lina." He nodded towards Annie. "She's the one who's really good about picking out brooms."

Picking up his new broom, Kerry said, "Ladies, shall we?" as he flung open the door leading outside to the pitch.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Lina nodded. She wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was exciting to find out. She walked a little bit behind the two as she wondered if she would know how to fly already if it wasn't for the mishap that happened the first day of class. "So, um, where exactly are we going?"
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Kerry waved his hand. "Out here," he said, showing the pitch. "We'll fly around there a little; you can follow me or Annie and get used to the broom, then . . . we can try something else if you like."

He thought about what Professor Salomon said. "Just put your broom out to the said and think about making it hover. Like waist high. Then let it go and get it so it's hanging in the air before you get on."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Lina nodded. She gently put the broom on the ground on her left side. She extended her arm straight out in front of her, palm down, and said, with confidence, "Up."

Evangelina Cromwell carried out 1 launched of one (D100.) :
    GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 pm

And lets see then . . ..

GM Emma carried out 1 launched of one (D100.) :
    GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 pm

You are so lucky. Then again, you got a good teacher!
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 am

The broom before her hovered about midway from the ground to her hand, shaking a bit. It then rose slightly a bit higher before...

It rose and made it to her hand. Lina gave out a relief sigh before looking up at Kerry, "Um, what's next:"
    GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Okay, Nugget, look over here and list to Gawd.

When you are flying a broom, it's your action against the actions of the broom, so you doing a contested roll. This means, you not only select your dice for your actions, but, in the same post, you'll select D100 dice for me as well. Then when you post, you'll do your roll, I'll do mine (automatically), and whoever has the highest roll wins.

So, when you are ready to take off, you roll and I roll. If your roll is higher, depending on how much you beat me by you'll either take off slowly or zoom into the stratosphere.

If, on the other hand, I beat your roll, then depending upon how much I beat you by, you'll either stall out and flutter to the ground, or you'll do like Kerry and Annie did and faceplant and look like a goddamn fool, at "witch" point I might just show up and mock your ass.

(By the way if you want to see this stuff in action, gander upon said threads and see how the pros do it.)

Oh, and role play out what happens when it does happen. You're a big girl; I know you can do it.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:33 pm

Grinning, Kerry said, "Well, now that you got it in a hover go ahead and straddle it." He stood to the said watching Lina; he wasn't brave enough to get in front of her, 'cause you didn't know what was going to happen.

"Once you're on," he said, raise up your feet and let them fold into place. You'll have your hands on the broom--" He gave a quick explanation about how the movement of the hands on the broom made it go where you wanted.

"And so . . ." He hovered his new Nimbus and was on it in an instant, hovering. "With that, we let you take off first." And crash and burn 2 seconds later if prior experience is any indication, he though.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:19 am

Lina did as she instructed; placing the broom between her legs, she gripped the broom tightly. Somehow, this reminds me of Majo no Takkyūbin, and I'm Kiki. She smiled at the movie her mother showed her when she was younger. If only it was that easy.

Lina was slightly a bit hesitant when rested her weight on the hovering broom and was even more hesitant lifting her feet off the ground.

GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:58 pm

*yawn* Okay, let me get this roll since you didn't!

GM Emma carried out 1 launched of one (D100.) :
    GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The broom stalls out on you!!!!

In your face, Kiki!!!!

Try again!!!
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Annie stood back a bit, watching as Lina struggled. "Don't let that bother you, Lina. You need to trust your broom before it will trust you to ride it."

She smiled and gave her a thumbs up, hoping her next try would be better.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 am

Lina nodded at what Annie had said, and attempted the action again. It's ok, Lina, you'll get the hang of this...eventually.

Concentrating again, Lina had the broom hover again, then she straddle it. The only difference between the time before and now was that she didn't hesitate her actions.

GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 am

The member 'Evangelina Cromwell' has done the following action : Dice Roll

'D100' :

Result : 2
    GM Emma
    The Institute GM
    The Institute GM

Post  GM Emma on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 am

Um, well... That was the strangest damn thing I've ever see. The broom almost botched.

Which means you start flying. Gawd knows how, but you do.
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 am

For a moment it looked like Lina might go end or end or something, but, no, this time she started flying . . . slowly, but flying she was.

Kerry pushed his broom forward, feeling how responsive this Nimbus was. The one he'd flown before had been great, but this--there was no hesitation, and it moved so smoothly and effortlessly through the air. In a moment he was alongside Lina.

"Great!" He remembered not to shout over the headset. "Follow me and I'll put you through some turns."

Kerry sped up and turned slightly to his right, remembering the layout he'd flown only a week ago--

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:39 am