The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

    Salem Witches' Institute: A Visual

    Share
    avatar
    Mathilde Laventure
    Headmistress

    Posts : 73
    Join date : 2011-04-20
    Character Age : 44
    Location : Salem Witches' Institute

    Salem Witches' Institute: A Visual

    Post  Mathilde Laventure on Thu May 05, 2011 1:27 pm

    Salem Witches’ Institute
    Founded: 1633
    Original Location: Salem, Massachusetts
    Current Location: Southwest flank, Mount Katahdin, Maine. Relocated here 1683.
    Closest Town: Dunwich, Maine, 6 kilometers. Direct train line from Salem to Dunwich.



    The school, in its current incarnation, is a walled “village” of 23 buildings, many fields and forests, and a network of tunnels used to connect the different buildings during the winter months. The student population currently is, as of the last recorded school year (2010), 438.

    The current school was relocated from Salem in lieu of anti-wizarding hysteria whipped up by the Muggle population. It was decided to relocate to a location as remote as possible (to offset population pressured seen by the then Mistress of Divination), and ground was struck June, 1683, with the first classes held in September for the 1683-84 Year.

    The Institute was founded as an all-girls school, but became co-educational in 1833. However, even today the majority of the student body and Institute staff are female.

    The original wall surrounding the Institute was constructed in 1703, and has been expanded many times, with the current configuration completed in the summer of 1895. The wall is 8 meters high and 3.5 meters thick, with a parapet along the entire length of the wall. The South Wall and Main Gate are the only sections of the original wall that remain.

    (Click images to enlarge.)

    The School:


    The School Tunnels (in red):



    Campus Main:



    Founder’s Oak

    It was beside this majestic, hundreds-years old tree, that the five founders of the original Salem school—Vivian Lovecraft of Coven Åsgårdsreia; Selena Malthus of Coven Mórrígan; Rhiannon Fettle of Coven Bloeddewed; Lucille Van der Kroft of Coven Ceridwen; Astria Blomqvist of Coven Cernunnos—broke ground for the what would eventually become Grand Portcullis, the Coven Towers and Walls, and The Great Hall. Every September 1st the Coven Heads gather at the Oak at high noon to ask the Founder’s spirits to watch over the school for the next school year.


    Coven Towers and Walls

    The Coven Towers are the oldest original structures upon the Institute grounds, each completed not long after ground breaking and ready for occupation during the 1683-84 School Year. Other than internal remodeling, the towers and their foundations have stood unaltered since initial construction.

    The coven walls were originally designed to act a barrier for the soon-to-be-build Great Hall (before the construction of the Institute Wall), and are still used for comfortable walking between towers. It is from the coven walls that one gets their first good view of the Institute campus, and during the summer months students often sit along the parapet and study and/or relax.


    The Great Hall

    The center of all Institute activity, the Great Hall acts as the meeting, dining and administrative center. Construction of the Main (now Dining) Hall started in 1685 and was finished the following year. The transepts and sanctuary were completed in 1699; 1729 saw the addition of the upper floors. The Great Hall’s current appearance was completed in 1771 with the topping out of the East Transept’s Clock Tower.

    Besides the Dining Hall and the Clock Tower, the Great Hall is the location of the Hospital, the Library, the offices of several instructors and the Headmistress’ Office. As well, below the Hall are its extensive catacombs, including the Main Dungeon (now used mainly for storage and activities), the Kitchens and the House Elves’ Quarters, which proudly exceed standards established by the Elves Equality Act of 2005.

    Unlike many schools, the Dining Hall has a rotating menu, thus avoiding the ennui of constantly dining on the same foods day in and out. Given sufficient notice the kitchen elves can prepare individual dishes for special occasions.


    Campus Residences:


    Instructors’ Residence and Headmistress’ House

    The Instructor’s Residence was built in 1723 to accommodate the additional staff needed to instruct and increasing student enrolment. The three story structure has sitting rooms, a library and dining area, a private room and bath for each instructor, and private studies for those instructors who need private time away from their offices. Access of the residence to students is severely limited, and when allowed is restricted to the ground floor and to the private studies when escorted by a particular instructor.

    The Headmistress’ House, Rhiannon, was built in 1729 to allow then-headmistress Rhiannon Fettle the chance to conduct Institute business in private, and to allow her a modicum of privacy others felt should be reserved for the head of the school. Headmistress Fettle lived in the residence for 26 years and passed away in her sleep on April 3rd, 1755, at the age of 148. Days after her passing the Institute renamed the residence in her honor, and every head of the Institute has called the two story structure home since.


    Gwydion Manor and surroundings:


    Gwydion Manor

    Gwydion Manor has been the Institute’s dueling facility since its construction in 1786. Before then dueling was either held in The Great Hall, on the concourse between the Hall and the Coven Towers, or on what is now the Flying Pitch.

    Gwydion Manor is connected to the Institute’s system of tunnels through the building’s cellar, but there is much debate about hidden rooms accessible from the cellar. Over the last two centuries tales of a “room of requirement” have swirled around Gwydion Manor, but nothing has ever been confirmed by the Institute staff.


    Dark Arts House and surroundings:


    Dark Arts House and Woods

    The Dark Arts House has been a fixture of the Institute since it appeared on Samhain, 1801. The building was not built, at least not by anyone or anything known; all that is known is that come morning, October 31, the building, and its dungeon, was standing in its current location, filled with furniture and equipment ready to be used. After the building was examined by several members of the Institute, the doors were opened on November 2nd, and have remained open since.

    Whist-man’s Oaks began growing the summer after the appearance of the Dark Arts House, and resisted every effort to be removed. The woods, though small, are filled with pixies, and possess an air of death. A number of people have turned up dead in the woods over the last 200 years, and a good portion of the Scouring of 2000 occurred here. Though the Oaks are quiet today, one should always be on guard walking through here.

    Perquat’s Grove was planted in 1814 by then Groundskeeper, Hermiad Perquat. He placed pines here so that Selena’s Meadow would be partially hidden from the Dark Arts House, and for 30 years he tended to the forest nearly every day. When he died in 1851, Perquat was buried in the center of the grove, near the first tree planted.


    Van der Kroft Stream and Memory's End:


    Van der Kroft Stream

    Van der Kroft Stream consists of runoff from Mount Katahdin, and can be used as a pure water source for drinking. The stream is named in honor of Lucille Van der Kroft, who used to bath in a secluded section near the Department of History building, just up stream from History Bridge. Upon the death of Van der Kroft in 1765, her ashes were scattered upon the steam’s waters, and many believe a tree in the stream bed near the current Astronomy Tower grew as a result.

    Memory’s End

    The center of Divination and Arithmomancy studies, Memory’s End are the only classroom structures built on the “far campus” north of Van der Kroft Stream. Built in 1784, their location (outside the North Wall at the time) was due to the disquiet many around the Institute felt due to the “elder teachings” of seeing into the future. The apprehension was not diminished when, in 1793, the Mistress of Divination, Olivia DesChamps, hung herself in the Divination Classroom and was discovered by students arriving for the morning class. Since then, 7 instructors of Divination have gone mad—3 taking their lives in the process. The current Divination Instructor, Denna Arrakis, dismisses the idea that the position is cursed, and is currently (as of the start of the 2011 session) starting her second year with the Institute.


    Lovecraft Lake, Phantom Manor and Astronomy Tower:


    Lovecraft Lake

    The other fresh water source for the Institute, Lovecraft Lake is spring feed and, contrary to the other lakes on the slopes of Mount Katahdin, the water is very blue and clear. The lake is deep (40 meters near the center) and there are only a few places along the shore available for swimming.

    The lake was named in honor of Vivian Lovecraft, who fought and killed a windigo on the shores on the night of December 5th, 1724, giving her life in the process. At the request of Selena Malthus, Lovecraft was burred at the northeast corner of what is now known as Selena’s Meadow.

    Phantom Manor

    Originally this building was constructed in 1789 to be the “new” Dark Arts Hall (while the Dark Arts were still being taught in the dungeons of the Great Hall and before the appearance of the current hall), but just as the building was nearing completion it was inhabited by 6 (and as many as 11) unidentified spirits and 2 ghouls. Because of the inability to rid the entities, the building was abandoned, and quickly fell into disrepair. It wasn’t until 1834 that the building was used as part of Ghoul Studies, though most of the actual class is taught in the Astronomy Tower and the tunnels under Phantom Manor.

    Astronomy Tower

    Built in 1811 to replace the original tower (which had then become part of the new North Wall), this is the second tallest structure on the Institute grounds, topping out at 75 meters (246 feet); the natural rock outcropping upon which it sits gives it a total elevation of 82 meters (269 feet), 8 meters shy of the Great Hall Clock Tower.

    Astronomy Tower is a popular “suicide leap” and, as such, is surrounded by many charms to prevent distraught students from plunging to their deaths. As such, there has not been a successful suicide attempt since 1954.


    Astria Portal and Selena's Meadow:


    Astria Portal

    At one time Astria Portal was the tallest structure at the Institute, topping out at 50 meters (165 feet). The original astronomy tower, it was built some distance from the main campus in 1687 at the request of Astria Blomqvist, one of the Institute’s founders and the Astronomy instructor, who thought the location was perfect to allow her student to “feel the sky”, as she put it. Within a few years Astria would move into the tower, and by 1701 she was never seen in the campus proper, even at the request of one of the other Founders.

    The last anyone saw of Astria Blomqvist was on the night of May 6th, 1716, when two students clamed to have seen Astria walking northward, naked, into the tree line. When, after 20 minutes, she did not reappear, her disappearance was reported to the Headmistress and a search was conducted. Astria’s body was never found.

    When the Institute Wall was extended, the old Astronomy tower became the North Entrance, and was renamed Astria Portal in the Founder’s honor.

    Selena’s Meadow

    Used as a place of worship since the Institute relocated to Maine, Selena’s Meadow was a favorite spot of meditation for Selena Malthus, the founder of Coven Mórrígan and the Institute’s first Mistress of Potions and the Dueling Instructor.

    Stranger, though, was the incident that happened on June 8th, of 1686, when Selena returned one night from the meadow bruised and cut. Though she claimed to have no knowledge of being attacked, the other founders felt something unnatural had attacked. Three weeks later, unknown to the other Founders, Selena and Vivian Lovecraft went to the meadow at night fall and did not return until several hours after sunrise. Both women were battered and bloody, but claimed they vanquished something “spectral”—though, again, both women were vague in their recollections.

    Two weeks later both Selena and Vivian discovered there were pregnant. Selena delivered on April 12th, 1687, and Vivian two days later. Both gave birth to daughters. Though the other Founders wondered just what had happened in the meadow that night, none sought to question the women.

    Upon Vivian Lovecraft’s death Selena Malthus asked that her body be buried at the northeast corner of the meadow, saying that it had been a request of Vivian’s. When Selena died in 1761, it was her request to be buried along side Lovecraft. Both graves remain, and the meadow was renamed in Selena’s memory the following Beltane.

      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:55 am