The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

The Phoenix Flames

Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 17

The Phoenix Flames

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Annie entered the Great Hall and wondered how this would turn out. The hat ceremony at Hogwarts was not exactly simple; this seemed downright horrifying.

She neared the charred ring on the floor toward the front of the cavernous room. It seemed simple—step in and get sorted. So why weren’t her feet moving?

Annie looked around at the long tables that were empty; a shiver went up her spine. It was a mistake to come here without Kerry, but what could he do for her beside wish her luck and stand back to watch. It has to be this way... she thought.

It was very quiet in the room, and the darkness from outside seemed to press in on her. She looked up at the windows; the rain streaking down matched her mood. She turned again to face the scorched ground, inhaled deeply, shut her eyes, and jumped into her destiny.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Re: The Phoenix Flames

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

As she entered the ring enormous blue flames leapt around her, covering her in a sickening, drying heat. I was like being stuck in the middle of a Bunsen Burner. The view beyond the flames turned the color of spoiled milk, and everything became deathly quiet.

"Well, look who we have." Annie turned to her right and found a woman dressed in Quidditch gear--but not just any gear; it was the uniform of the Bulgarian National Team, and she knew the gear well.

The term "woman" was, however, rather loose. Female in form, yes, but blue flames licked about her wrist cuffs, and her head was covered more in flame that human hair. Her eyes were a solid, glowing white, and her smile--it wasn't one of mirth, unless it was the sort of mirth saved for the grave.

"The great Annie Krum graces me with her presence." The woman's tone was mocking, and a smirk appeared upon her face as she spoke. "So tell me, Daughter of the man who almost killed Harry Potter, why are you wasting my time?"

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Annie stared as the living flame approached. Is she dressed in….what?? Bulgarian colors… Is this a joke? She looked around to see if anyone was laughing and realized there was nothing else to see except the flame. The heat radiating from them dried her mouth and she swallowed hard.

As Annie watched the flame, it danced closer. The colors transfixed her as they shifted and crackled. Suddenly, she spoke. "So tell me, Daughter of the man who almost killed Harry Potter, why are you wasting my time?"

Annie felt her cheeks erupt into flames and her eyes hardened.

“You know why I am here.” she replied flatly, hoping she wouldn’t give away her rising anger. “I would like to be sorted and playing your games seems to be the only way to accomplish that task.”

She squared her shoulders and turned away from the horrific lustrous white stare of the flame.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Mon May 09, 2011 2:03 pm

For nearly 20 seconds after Annie turned away there followed a great silence. She didn't know what she expected, but this certainly wasn't like the sorting at Hogwarts; there, at least the hat was at least a little--

Annie's hair was grasped and her head was brutally yanked backwards. By all right she should have fell, but Annie felt something drive into her lower back and hold her up. So rather than let her fall, she thought her spine might snap.

Her hair held in a vice, Annie's vision was restricted to straight up--but the Phoenix saw to it that she would have something to look at. Leaning over Annie and looking directly into the girl's eyes with her own horrific piercing white stare, she said in a low growl, "You keep a civil tongue in your mouth, girl . . . or I'll rip it out and eat it for dinner.

"And you're right; you are here to be sorted." Annie's hair burst into blue flames, and the disgusting scent of the burning filled her nostrils as fire dance around her face. "But this is far from a game . . . love." The Phoenix smile, and it looked even more predatory than before. "And this is my world. Now, tell me, what coven do you think worthy of your talents?"

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Annie submitted to the flame, refusing to allow it to sense her growing panic.

“Coven Cernunnos.” she whispered. The putrid aroma of the burning inferno wafted around her, threatening to turn out the contents of her stomach.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Mon May 09, 2011 2:30 pm

The smiling Phoenix was turning infuriating with her mocking. "Oh, The Serpents . . ." Annie smelled something more disgusting now; her scalp was beginning to burn, and it was her own flesh that filled him senses. "Do you really want to be able to face all that anyone can throw at you? You, Annie?"

She leaned closer, her blazing eyes only centimeters from Annie's. The Phoenix's breath was hot upon Annie's face as she said, "You who so love the dark arts . . . is that why you want to learn to face your fears? So you can make a name for yourself? Like you father did? So you can show everyone how great you are? Like someone else did?"

The Phoenix ran her tongue over Annie's right cheek, and it felt as if the spirit were pouring acid onto Annie's flesh. "And how can you be a member of Cernunnos--"

Suddenly the pain in Annie's back was gone. Yes, her hair was still aflame, and her face felt scared, but the pain was no more. It had been replaced--

Annie looked around and realized she was astride a broom--and she was many kilometers above whatever it was that passed for ground in this place.

Across from her, separated by 5 meters of nothingness, the Phoenix, now dressed in a "naughty witches'" dress, sat sidesaddle on her own broom, her legs and arms crossed like a teacher delivering a lecture to a impenitent student--

Ignoring Annie in favor of examining her nails, the Phoenix finished her statement: "--When you can't face the one fear that has followed you your entire life?"

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Annie felt the world begin to spin. She gripped the broom hard, squeezed her eyes shut, and concentrated on breathing. The flames are toying with me…and enjoying every bit of this.

She let her mind wander and an image of her father flying high above their quidditch pitch in Pamporovo bubbled to the surface. She saw his quiet strength as he effortlessly guided his broom up and down the field. How many times had he tried to coax her up with him? She couldn’t remember, but suddenly she felt a great longing and sadness. The uncomfortable warmth of the flames had entered her and her eyes flashed open.

“You… How could you… My life…WILL BE MY OWN!” Annie’s vision blurred, as the tears began falling down her face. She flashed a manic smile at the flame and took off on her broom, jerking it violently down toward the ground.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Mon May 09, 2011 3:07 pm

The Phoenix went after Annie keeping pace rather easily. "You will make your life your own, love," she quipped, "but do you think it that easy? Do you believe you can go anywhere you like, roll with any punch that comes your way?

"And what do you plan to do with your love of the dark arts? Do you really think you can stay pure, that you will stay uncorrupted by all this? That you will take every problem in stride and spit in its face, laughing maniacally the whole time?"

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Annie did not want to hear the flames. She did not want to face what she suspected might be true. She wasn’t weak…

She pulled up roughly on the broom and it stopped neatly. “So, am I doomed then?” she asked. “Is there no hope?” She slumped on her broom and unceremoniously wiped the snot from her face.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Mon May 09, 2011 3:31 pm

The Phoenix pulled up along side Annie. The flames in her hair went out, and the scent of roses and wild flowers filled the air. "Doomed? How so?" Now the smile upon the Phoenix's face was one of amusement. "Dear little Annie, how you swing from one extreme to another . . . you know how to fight when you are alone, but but fight with the abandon of the doomed. It is your way. With you it is all or nothing. In a crowd you cower; on your own you push until you can push no more.

"Sometimes what you need is to . . ." The Phoenix waved her hand. "Let go, and accept that you may need to adjust."

The broom vanished.

Annie fell.

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Annie came to. Was I dreaming… No, that was no dream. She sat up, rubbing her left shoulder. Wha… What was that?

She was vaguely aware that she had been on a broom…and her hair had been on fire. The flames had told her to let go, and then she was falling... She shook her head, clearing the last of the fuzziness. Was she sorted now? She didn’t remember a declaration. Was she rejected?

Silently, Annie began to weep.

The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Mon May 09, 2011 4:38 pm

A you fall you hear a whisper in your ear . . . "You will learn. There will come a time when you will look back upon the time before and wonder why Annie was as she was . . ."

The sky goes white, and you continue to fall. Then the very clouds boom out--"She is no longer mine . . . SHE IS CERNUNNOS!"

And then, in another whisper, you hear, "Don't worry about Kerry--he's mine."

Then blackness.

The school returns. You are lying in the stone circle, gasping for air. You back is a bit sore, as if you'd been dropped onto the floor. Someone, a man in wizard's robes, is standing over you, saying in Bulgarian, "Are you okay?"

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Annie blinked. What just happened?

"I... I don't know." Her hands flew to her head. "My hair! It's my hair..." She grabbed it and covered her face with her long locks. "My hair." she giggled, rocking back and forth.
    Holoč Semplen
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 38

Post  Holoč Semplen on Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm

The instructor tisked her. "Now, nothing to worry about," he said, still speaking in Bulgarian. "Saw you there for a second as the flames died; seemed like our Phoenix was a bit rough on you."

He helped her up and led her over to a row of tables where people were clapping. "She can be a rough one, but nothing seems broken, so all is well, yes?" As Annie sat the instructor added, this time in English, "Welcome to your new home, Miss Krum; welcome to Cernunnos."
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum on Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Nothing is broken... Annie let the professor guide her to the table and thought about what his statement meant. Sure, nothing was physically wrong with her; she stroked her hair once again to reassure herself that it was indeed on her head.

But something was different. Annie remembered the last part of her meeting with the Flame. Kerry... Annie had to warn Kerry.

She strained to find him among the small crowd that had begun to hover over her. There, toward the front of the room stood Kerry--and it was too late. Kerry disappeared into the Flame.

"No..." she whispered, and dropped her head into her hands to weep.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:23 am