The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!
The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

Fan the Flames of Sorting

Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 17

Fan the Flames of Sorting

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 am

And so it was time.

Kerry moved into position just outside the circle. It’d been a bit of a rollercoaster since they’d showed up. This Great Hall was a lot like the one at The ‘Warts, but there were differences here and there—the biggest being the short “wings” on other side just before where the instructors sat. That’s called the transcript, or something, he thought, filtering another useless bit of trivia through his head for the hell of it.

The Headmistress—a really good looking woman with a slight accent—had told him to steady himself and then step in. The “step in” part he didn’t have an issue with, but the “steady himself” . . . yeah, that was definitely a pain. He’d seen Annie come out a couple of people before. She stepped in, willingly, then there was this huge whoosh! of flame around her for about 20 seconds—and when it vanished, she was on her back looking like someone had gut punched her.

Right, steady yourself, he thought. More like fasten your seal belts, the ride gets bumpy from here on out . . ..

With that he stepped in. And the flames engulfed him.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Re: Fan the Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 am

The surroundings looked like something straight out of the Inferno. Everything was black beyond the leaping red and yellow flames that surrounded Kerry in the circle. The heat was intense; it was sort of like “Death Valley in the summer during the midday sun” hot, but only if you were standing next to a smelting furnace at the same time.

In no time Kerry was feeling the skin on his lips peal and split. His skin was drying out, and it didn’t mater that he knew he was sweating like mad: the right now he had to be taking in more heat that he was ridding from his body.

Then she appeared, slipping in through the flame. They didn’t so much part as open enough to wrap around her body and leave her a spot in the wall of fire. Kerry did a double take: the woman was wearing a skin-tight suit that covered her body from the circle of her neck to what he assumed were the tips of her boot-encased toes. The suit was colored in a flat black and yellow, and there was an emblem of sorts emblazoned across her chest.

She stopped 2 meters from him, planted her feet and lay her hands across her lower stomach before speaking. “Kerry Malibey . . . I’ve been waiting for you.” She gave him a lop-sided grim. “Aren’t we going to have fun.”

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 am

Kerry was working hard to resist the urge to laugh. He didn’t know what to expect from this . . . “event”; he’d been warned that it could be traumatic. But right now, it had turned into high-end cosplay.

“Oh, that’s original,” he said, his own smirk returned in kind. “What’s next? You tell me about the covens and then run off to eat a world?”
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 12:56 am

The Phoenix did a pirouette, holding her arms out slightly as she slowly turned. “What, you don’t like?” he asked in a cute, sing-song voice, but as she cast her gaze back upon Kerry, he saw the dead white orbs peeking out through her hair the color of the surrounding flames possessed neither cuteness nor concern. “I dressed just for you. Maybe I should have went for the White Queen look instead. No?

“As for what I’m going to do . . .” She stepped forward and cupped his chin in her hand. Kerry felt the skin on his chin burning, but he couldn’t move. His body had become locked in place. He couldn’t even moan as she leaned forward. “You of all people should know.” He planted a burning kiss upon his nose, the skin cracking open as she pulled away.

She released him and stepped away. Kerry stood there shaking while she monologued. “I’m the Phoenix. And the Phoenix gets in your head . . . and just like your lovely White Queen, she screws with you mind.” She quickly turned her head and her eyes blazed. “Among other things.”

Kerry bust into flames. This time he had no trouble screaming.

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 am

There wasn’t time for thought; one moment Kerry was regretting smarting off like he was want to do, and the next he was on fire. And it hurt—oh, yeah. Like every nerve ending in his body had pins driven into then and doused in salt. It was blinding; he couldn’t even take in what was happening outside his body, because the pain inside was his world for the moment.

He vaguely understood that he’d fallen to the ground; he vaguely understood this crazy woman-thing was standing over him. What wasn’t vague, not in the least, was that this experience was going on and on, as if it were never going to end. But he couldn’t think about this; Kerry’s brain was tied up trying to ignore the pain consuming his body, and it was miserably failing.

And then, like that, it was over.

Kerry was on his hands and knees, staring at the floor, panting. The pain was over, but he knew something simply wasn’t right. He heard the Phoenix speaking, but he wasn’t listening. He was taking inventory of himself, trying to figure out—besides having been physically and metaphorically burnt to a crisp and living to speak about it—what wasn’t right with this picture.

Clothes still on—check; rip in the pants ‘cause I’m getting airflow—check; don’t smell burnt—check; still have my hair, but . . ..

Kerry sat back on his haunches and touched his hair. As he ran his slender fingers through it he picked up on the last statement the Phoenix made . . . then looked at his hands.

And found he had another reason to scream.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am

As Kerry burned and screamed, the Phoenix spoke to him in an easy, conversational way, as if she were completely oblivious to his plight and was asking him his opinion about something she’d just read on the Internet.

“I’m your judge and jury, love,” she said, circling Kerry’s flaming body. “I listen and decide. I hear your plea and determine your course. I put you where you need to go, not where you want to go.” She stood behind him and hugged his flaming form, and smiled. “I’m your muse, Kerry. I create your future.”

The flames went out and the Phoenix allowed Kerry to fall to the ground. “But before we speak of the future, lets relax and speak of the past.” She again stood before him, looking down upon his undamaged form. “Lets get inside your head and pull together all the dangling threads that have been your life. Lets talk about what could have been.” She brought her tented fingers to her pursed lips. “But first, lets see what sounds better: “Kerry” with a “Y”, or “Kari” with an “AI”. What do you think?” Her answer was Kerry’s scream; she knew what he preferred.

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 9:37 am

Kerry jumped to his feet, automatically smoothing out his school girl’s uniform skirt before covering the few steps between him and this crazy spirit in his brand new Mary Janes. “Look at this!” he yelled in a much higher pitched voice than he was used to hearing, holding out his hand to show the Phoenix the manicured nails at the end of the long, thin fingers of his left hand. “You did this! This is totally not COOL!” He quickly dropped his hand to his side when he realized that he was holding out hand to be examined just like a, um . . . girl would.

This is such BS, man!, he thought, but knew there was nothing he was going to do to change the situation as it stood. But if there’s any consolation, I’m not on fire. He adjusted his stylish glasses and he always did when nervous, brushed his long red hair from his face, and waited.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 am

Looking over her handwork, the Phoenix smiled and nodded. “Purple is a good color on you . . . Kari” She hit the inflection hard enough that she knew her new charge wouldn’t be able to get the spelling out of his/her head. “What coven do you want to join, Kari? And why? And don’t bore me with a long-winded explanation, girl. You’re better than that.” She pressed her face forward, bending at the hips with her hands locked behind her back. “And you know it.”

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 am

Kerry knew the answer to that one, ‘cause ever since they’d walked into this dump and had been told to look over the “Big Book of Covens” he’d been thinking about what would be his best fit. Don’t any of these magical schools have a normal way of placing you? he thought. The last had a smart-assed hat; here it’s sorority hazing from a flaming bint. Kerry gave only a moment’s thought to the fact he’d though “sorority” and not “fraternity”, and that his Phoenix friend was likely catching every thought in his head.

“Coven Cernunnos,” he said, and heard the nervousness in his voice . . . though it wasn’t really “his” voice, but that of some tween chick. He thought, God, if I find out I now love Twilight I’m gonna kill myself, before adding, “I can . . . it’s more me. Being able to understand nature—science. Being able to stand up and face . . . stuff." Oh, snap! I sound so lame! Kerry gulped and turned his gaze away from the spot on the ground before where the Phoenix stood. Why did I do that? I’m not like that! Get it together, Kerry!
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 10:30 am

The Phoenix’s burning eyes looked Kari over once more then turned away as if she’d not heard a word. “Your mother went back to work 8 weeks after you were born,” she said, making a statement rather than asking a question. “Why is that? Did she have some production work she needed to finish on A.I.? Some wireframes she had to start for Attack of the Clones?”

She wandered over to Kari. Her gloved fingers glided through his/her pretty long red hair, and strands began to sizzle from the heat of her body. “When you were older did you never ask why? Didn’t you ever wonder why she, more so than your father, put her work before her child? Did you not ever wonder why, at times, she’d sigh over something she’d see on TV and then cast a glance at you as if it triggered a deep regret?” She playfully tugged at the shinny gold hoops in Kari’s left ear, receiving a yelping response in return. “Come along, Pond: haven't you ever faced the facts of your existence?”

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 am

Oh, you don’t want to go there, Kerry thought, but wishing it not to happen wasn’t going to prevent it from happening. He knew what this Phoenix from Hell (well, pretty much from the story, too) was insinuating—though it wasn’t so much an insinuation as something that happened.

The events were still etched in his mind. Once it happened back in Sleepy Hollow when he was 5 or so. He remembered it because his mother, during one of her rare times home on a day off, had dragged him away from a book and was playing with him. The other time was just a few years ago, in Cardiff, and it came in the aftermath of a fight they’d had over something he’d said to a classmate at school, a remark that had sent him home.

Both times he’d found the remarks unusual and, in the instance of the second time, hurtful. And both times he’d blown them off—though it was easy to blow it off the first time, ‘cause when you’re five everything is a blow off unless it has to do with toys or ice cream. But when you’re 8 going on 9, and your mother lays something heavy on you—yeah, blowing it off ain’t that easy—

Kerry tried to yank away from the Phoenix. “I know about my existence, thank you.” Kerry had wanted to come off sounding tough, but with a new speaking voice an octave higher in pitch, he probably sounded more than a little whinny. “And don’t call me Pond!”
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Tousling her guest's hair once more, the Phoenix said, “But you’re so ginger! And given your fascination with the fantastic, don’t you think it fits, Kari?” Before she could respond the spirit continued. “Your whole life has been a denial, love. You were the losing ticket in your mother’s lottery of life, and she’s not been too subtle with letting you know.

“When she’s not telling you that you weren’t exactly what she wanted when she was squeezing you out of her birth canal, she’s done everything she can to buy you off so you’ll leave her alone. He son wants books: get them. He wants a computer: get one. He wants a smart phone: get one. He wants an iPad: get one.” She let her fingers glide over the shoulders of her Kari’s school jacket, the threads glowing under her touch. “Face it, dear: you got the name you got because it was close enough to what your mother really wanted that she could pretend.” The Phoenix pulled the girl in close to her, holding her against her oven hot body. “One can only imagine how many characters she drew up on her computer and thought, ‘That could have been my little girl’.” And then her tone turned cold. “Instead she got you. And, in return . . . you got nothing.”

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Kerry pushed him/herself away. “That’s bull!” he screamed. “I got plenty. I got a family! I got . . . I got my stuff! I got friends!” His teeth began to chatter as the tears finally started to flow, his long lashes splattering a drop here and there upon his glasses. “I got friends now, you stupid cow! I don’t need this crap!” He/she felt like they were on the verge of a hyperventilation jag, but Kerry pushed on. “You’re not real! You’re a manifestation, nothing more! A cheep-ass fake—“

Kerry flew off the floor and hovered a few meters above the Phoenix’s outstretched hand. He/she suddenly felt like he/she was being turned inside out—
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 pm

You have nothing, Kari!” the Phoenix screamed, as if to dig her point into the now-suffering girl’s skin. She shifted tone and her voice dropped into a low monotone of factual expression. “You have a mother who hates you and would rather you were her little Barbie doll of a daughter so she could play dress up; a father who is indifferent; and no friends—in California, in the UK, nor here—to speak of. That is the sum of your life, Kari!

“And before you count that Bashful Bulgarian Babe amongst your new friends, you had better consider this: little Annnn-nie is, at best, as emotionally stable as you—which is to say, not much. You’re nothing thinking about her like the intelligent Kari you usually are: no, you’re thinking about her like a hormonal 11-year old with a serious infatuation. Face it, Kari; she’s not going to want to have anything to do with you in the years to come. Or I should say, she won’t want to have anything to do with Kerry—and why should she? She’s from a famous family; she’ll be a witch of renown; she’ll be someone.

“You would be so much better off if you stayed my Kari and befriended her. She’d probably make you her confidante and tell you everything about her life. You could sit and talk boys, get your nails done, do each other’s hair . . . all those girl bonding things that make true friends—“ At that moment Kari bucked and spewed blood before speaking in huge gasps of air.

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Her tears mingling with blood, Kari heaved the bile that had been threatening for the last few minutes. Her head felt like it was exploding; her insides were turning to pulp, and . . . well, there was and. She didn’t know if this was going to leave her injured, crippled or worse.

Even so, she continued thinking.

“You can’t do that,” she said weakly, almost in a moan. “You’d have to change an entire time line. It’s not possible. Quantum physics won’t allow that!” True to the end, her geek nature manifested as she tried to explain to the Phoenix why what she was planning would never work.

And the moment the words left her bloody lips, she knew she was wrong.
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 1:20 pm

The Phoenix allowed herself a dark chuckle. “We’re having this conversation, Kari—and at the same time, Kerry is sleeping soundly in a bed in Scotland, probably dreaming of the coming school year.” She released the girl and let her drop the 3 meters to the floor. Kari landed hard, and the snap of her right wrist echoed in the flame-ringed chamber. “You’ve time traveled, little one, and that was done with wizard’s magic, and anything a wizard can do . . .” She snapped her fingers. “Need I say it?”

She once more stood over the bleeding, bloody girl lay on her back in her retch, cradling her broken wrist against her breast. “It’s nothing. I can slip back through you time line and find you in your mother’s womb, and it’s only a simple . . . twist of a single particle of you being. And you’ll be Kari—my Kari—forever.” She leaned over Kari, whose chest heaved as she sucked air between overwrote sobs. “All you have to do is want it.”

1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Between the sobs there was only silence. Then there was a single word: “No.” Kari rolled over on her side before sitting up. Her wrist hung at a strange angle as she looked up into the blazing white eyes of the Phoenix and added, “You give my mother what she wants and things are better. I have a family; I maybe have friends; I maybe become a witch with a completely different life.” She held her breath for a few second in an effort to control her crying. “But she won’t be me. She won’t be Kerry. And as such, since I’d be Kari, we sure wouldn’t be having this frackin’ conversation!” She sighed loudly. “Ain’t that right, Dark One?”
    The Phoenix Flames
    The Flames of Sorting
    The Flames of Sorting

Post  The Phoenix Flames on Tue May 10, 2011 1:36 pm

The Phoenix gazed down upon the broken girl, her emotionless eyes never giving away her intent. Then she whispered, “Oh, so right you are, Mr. Malibey.”

She floated a meter off the floor and looked to the black sky. “You can go home, Kerry. YOU ARE CERNUNNOS!”

Kerry sat sobbing softly and the flames crash in upon him. When he looked up, he was back in the Great Hall, seated upon the floor, tears staining his cheeks and glasses, cradling a wrist that was no longer broken, thought the pain remained—

Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 38

Post  Holoč Semplen on Tue May 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Holoč came over and helped Kerry to his feet. "There, Mr. Malibey, come over here." He dusted something from his clothing and sat him next to Annie. "We'll be finished here very soon. If you and Miss Krum feel like eating, please, help yourselves." He smiled as he returned to his seat. "And welcome to Coven Cernunnos."
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey on Tue May 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Kerry was still shaking inside. It's not everyday you get your butt handed to you by a comic book character, he thought, and managed a smile for the first time in . . . what? A minute? "Oh, well," he said, almost giggling. "Time is reality."

He turned to Annie and smiled. She smiled back. He took her hand and rested his head against her shoulder, and never wondered if it would upset her.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm